Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Cinnamon Brown Pearl 2019 OB 3.6 Touring
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, we bought the 2019 OB 3.6 Touring in Cinnamon Brown Pearl and drove it home and into the garage. It has been out once since. I'm deciding between doing a ceramic coating or a more DIY process of wash, clay bar, polish, and wax. Bird poop, dust, pollen, and hot sun are part of daily life for our vehicles, although the garage helps some for the one vehicle that can fit. The ceramic coating to keep the paint in decent shape for a few years is attractive because it seems like the least maintenance. The DIY I think will keep the paint in good enough shape, but maybe not as good as the ceramic coating since we are not a regular car wash family, but when I do wash the car it is by hand using the two bucket method.

So, before I drop the money on the ceramic coating I may spend the hours to try the clay bar etc... method and see how we like that.....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Have you ever heard of F11 Topcoat? I apply it every couple of months on my 15 Outback to repel water and restore and preserve the shine of all interior/exterior components. You can apply several coats a few weeks apart on any surface to make it last longer. A bit on the expensive side but it goes a long way and lasts a few months. If you clean on a regular basis then this should just be a spray on and dry application process. I highly recommend this to all my friends. You can spray it directly onto the surface or on your microfiber cloth and hand buff and dry to a wonderful shine.I didn't snap any interior pics but I can if you like?
20190708_160651.jpg
20190708_160708.jpg
20190708_160742.jpg
20190708_160728.jpg

·
Registered
2018 3.6r Touring, Black, modifications: 255-55-zr18 Continental DWS06
341 Posts
Be sure to study ceramic coating. Washing methods change a bit for them. My neighbor did a Polish and ceramic coating on his 10 year old bright red avalanche and it looks new again. It has been applied for about a year now. I am not inclined to apply it as new paint technology is much better than it used to be. Recommend you keep a spray bottle of meguires quick detailer (Griot's and Chemical Guys have really good stuff as well at a slightly higher cost). If you get bird poop or significant bug damage, spray it off soon as possible. Both can eat through any coating if left on too long and you aren't cleaning the while car to address it. Pollen is less damaging. I live in Houston and fight some of same challenges plus poor air quality in general.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I decided to do both an Xpel PPF and Opti-Coat Pro Plus because I see this as a long term lower maintenance option for overall appearance. When I closely examined our current vehicles, there is some paint damage from road debris/bugs other stuff. More than I thought at first glance. So, that is the reason for the Xpel PPF.

Although my intensions are good about regular washing and waxing, history shows my actions don't match my intentions, so I see the Opti-Coat ceramic coating as a way to ease maintenance. If it is at least equal to the coating I have on one of our other vehicles, it will do what I need it to do. The suggestion about the quick detail sprays is a good one. In the past I have used a Griot's product, but I will look at some of the other options. With the darker color of the Cinnamon Brown Pearl, I hope the Xpel and Opti-Coat will preserve the appearance of the Outback.

I pick up the car later this week.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am pleased with the outcome of the Opti-Coat Pro Plus and XPEL application. Maybe it is not as low maintenance as I hoped, but it is a no-rinse wash a couple times a month, and that should work for me. The car has a very high gloss look and my wife likes it, so all is good.

·
Registered
2017 Outback Limited 2.5, Twilight Blue/Ivory, Eyesight. Also 1995 BMW 525i with 240,000 miles
2,244 Posts
Be sure to study ceramic coating. Washing methods change a bit for them. My neighbor did a Polish and ceramic coating on his 10 year old bright red avalanche and it looks new again. It has been applied for about a year now. I am not inclined to apply it as new paint technology is much better than it used to be. Recommend you keep a spray bottle of meguires quick detailer (Griot's and Chemical Guys have really good stuff as well at a slightly higher cost). If you get bird poop or significant bug damage, spray it off soon as possible. Both can eat through any coating if left on too long and you aren't cleaning the while car to address it. Pollen is less damaging. I live in Houston and fight some of same challenges plus poor air quality in general.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
I am not sure about newer paint technology lasting longer. I see a lot of complaints about car finishes including Subaru. I do have an interest in coatings. Just do not like the cost of having it done.

Reactions: walker

·
Registered
2017 Outback 3.6R LTD w/Tech
66 Posts
Have you ever heard of F11 Topcoat? I apply it every couple of months on my 15 Outback to repel water and restore and preserve the shine of all interior/exterior components. You can apply several coats a few weeks apart on any surface to make it last longer. A bit on the expensive side but it goes a long way and lasts a few months. If you clean on a regular basis then this should just be a spray on and dry application process. I highly recommend this to all my friends. You can spray it directly onto the surface or on your microfiber cloth and hand buff and dry to a wonderful shine.I didn't snap any interior pics but I can if you like?
I've just done this to my 17 OB and so far, love the "new" look of the paint. Can't speak to the longevity of the product yet, but plan to apply several coats before winter arrives.

Do you have some interior pics? What did you apply it on in the interior?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've just done this to my 17 OB and so far, love the "new" look of the paint. Can't speak to the longevity of the product yet, but plan to apply several coats before winter arrives.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
I applied F11 to the dash, doors, center console, tonneau cover, and a little bit in the engine bay. I used regular glass cleaner for the interior but F11 for all of the exterior. I applied Griots Garage all purpose leather cleaner and conditioner to the seats. A few layers give it the new leather smell.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 3.6R LTD w/Tech
66 Posts
I applied F11 to the dash, doors, center console, tonneau cover, and a little bit in the engine bay. I used regular glass cleaner for the interior but F11 for all of the exterior. I applied Griots Garage all purpose leather cleaner and conditioner to the seats. A few layers give it the new leather smell.
Thanks very much for sharing that. The interior looks brand new!
I never would have thought of using it on the engine bay ... I use Scrubbing Bubbles (no kidding) to clean my engine bay and Stoner Trim Shine for all of the plastic bits. I'll give F11 a try next time around.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Thanks very much for sharing that. The interior looks brand new!
I never would have thought of using it on the engine bay ... I use Scrubbing Bubbles (no kidding) to clean my engine bay and Stoner Trim Shine for all of the plastic bits. I'll give F11 a try next time around.
do you need to do any "safety prep" for the scrubbing bubbles engine cleaning? That seems like a safe(r) alternative for me, so am very interested.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts