Subaru Outback Forums banner

21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Just to add on, those new spray on "ceramic coatings" like Meguiars Hybrid Ceramic Wax or Turtle wax Hybrid Solutions Ceramic etc aren't the real deal vs an actual ceramic coating. They act more like a maintenance spray for a professional ceramic coating and don't last nearly as long.

I tried the Meguiars over my ceramic coating and it lasted maybe 6 weeks.

It was too cold for the Turtle wax but it should last longer for sure.

The car washes off quite a bit easier and is very glossy, water just beads off while driving and it dries quickly. It was part of a protection package with undercoating and rust proofing, otherwise I would have done it myself.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
7,673 Posts
For a cheap wax NU-Finish has always impressed me
Nu-Finish may have changed their formula so it's not as good as before. This is what happens when a private equity firm buys a brand. Formerly Reed-Union Nu-Finish is now owned by Energizer Holdings.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Limited, Ice Silver/Black
2,309 Posts
For a cheap wax NU-Finish has always impressed me
That's what I've used for decades, but what do we know?

·
Registered
‘20 Outback Limited, ‘20 Legacy Limited
146 Posts
TW Hybrid Ceramic, Wet Wax, and the detailer. Very easy, great shine, after a wash, touchless, use the Wet Wax to add to it, spray a few shots per still-damp panel, buff off, no streaks. Apply in the sun or shade. I think any of the products will do as well. Only neg is I don’t care for the detailer on the windows.

700-1500 bucks for a shiny car seems like lighting your cigars with 20$ bills😬.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Coming up on a year with the cquartz applied. Water still beads all over. Will prob do a refresh this summer with a buffer and polish made for “replenishing” ceramic coatings.

·
Registered
2020 Limted XT Black/Ivory
929 Posts
Coming up on a year with the cquartz applied. Water still beads all over. Will prob do a refresh this summer with a buffer and polish made for “replenishing” ceramic coatings.
I accidentally swirled my quarter panel with a dirty microfiber. I used carpro essence plus and it worked great. I did the whole car.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I accidentally swirled my quarter panel with a dirty microfiber. I used carpro essence plus and it worked great. I did the whole car.
Yeah I think carpro essence is what I have. But I think it has a shelf life that’s not too long. Will buy another bottle when the time comes.

·
Registered
2016 Outback 2.5 Premium w Eyesight
1,523 Posts
Just to add on, those new spray on "ceramic coatings" like Meguiars Hybrid Ceramic Wax or Turtle wax Hybrid Solutions Ceramic etc aren't the real deal vs an actual ceramic coating. They act more like a maintenance spray for a professional ceramic coating and don't last nearly as long.

I tried the Meguiars over my ceramic coating and it lasted maybe 6 weeks.

It was too cold for the Turtle wax but it should last longer for sure.

The car washes off quite a bit easier and is very glossy, water just beads off while driving and it dries quickly. It was part of a protection package with undercoating and rust proofing, otherwise I would have done it myself.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
This is true. Those spray on and easy on products while may contain some ceramic material isn't in the same category as something like ceramic pro and a couple of other products that professional detailers apply.

·
Registered
2020 Limted XT Black/Ivory
929 Posts
Yeah I think carpro essence is what I have. But I think it has a shelf life that’s not too long. Will buy another bottle when the time comes.
Essence is very different from essence plus. The essence I believe strips everything to prep for a new coating.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Yesterday update on test panels:

I've seen this mentioned here and I've also done a search but not really finding anything of recent. Considering doing this since car is only 2.5 mos old., stays in garage most of time, both retired so it doesn't sit out in sun all day, and I wash on a regular basis. Those of you who have done this, is it really worth it and would you do it again? Do it yourself or have done professionally? I clay barred the car and used Meguier's Gold Class Carnuba the first week I had the car. BTW, car is Crystal White Pearl. Thoughts and opinions greatly appreciated.
I have had my Outback for about a year. I did a clay bar and applied Technician's Choice to the surface. Didn't want to get into the loop of the ceramic coating with a re-application required for big bucks. The finish has held up real well since I keep my car garaged. The Technician's Choice works well and easy to re-apply. I will probably do a clay bar in the spring and start over with the Techincian's Choice. Can't beat if for the price, quality and ease of use.

·
Registered
2021 Touring XT in Crystal White Pearl
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
OK, took the plunge and have ordered ceramic supplies from Chemical Guys. Will have to wait for temps to rise to apply. Look for update and review in the coming months.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I’m admittedly an amateur, but decided to give 3 different ceramic coatings a go, one right after the other. I decided not to wash or clay bar the Touring XT, as it’s just over a week old. I’m not sure, but I think I may have used too much product.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
7,673 Posts
I’m admittedly an amateur, but decided to give 3 different ceramic coatings a go, one right after the other. I decided not to wash or clay bar the Touring XT, as it’s just over a week old. I’m not sure, but I think I may have used too much product.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm not familiar with what freezing rain looks like on a car - is that wavy frozen ice abnormal?

·
Registered
46 Posts
I applied Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic Wax on my new Outback without any prep other than a hand wash. It was easy! Just spray on and wipe off. So easy that I applied a second coat at the next wash.
The finish is super slick and water, bird droppings and insects just roll off.
The 26 oz bottle costs $13. I can't see why anyone would spent hundreds of dollars for a "professional" application.
My wife's Forester was a little older when I applied the Meguire's. The finish was a little gritty, so I am planning to give it the clay bar treatment and re-apply the Meguire's.

21 - 40 of 62 Posts