Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
06 OBW 2.5i Ltd 5MT
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just found out about these new types of windshield films.

Does anyone have them installed on their windshields? I want to decrease the amount of heat entering the car, so these UV and IR reducing films seem promising. I already have all other windows tinted, except for the sunroof.

I'm currently looking at Huper Optik and FormulaOne films that use ceramic technology. Any feedback from members with these films would be appreciated, especially how much cooler they keep the interior of your car.

:29: or :28:, thanks!

·
Premium Member
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
18,102 Posts
windshield?

anyway, I have HuperOptik on my WRX. It's been on for years - no weird color changes, bubbling or fading noticed. I do have a 'visor' across the top of the windshield - but it is the same as the side and rear windows, I shoulda gotten it max darkness.

The car is still hot after work, but, it cools off quickly and stays cool.

Plus, for cars that have antennas in the glass, ceramic is better for reception than metallic. Might make a difference for cellphone reception too but I have no idea.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
4,860 Posts
...hey...I'ver never heard of this before. Is this for real? I looked at the web site...most definately...feedback please.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Windshield films are illegal in Ca, like everything else.
Better check laws in TX before you do this.

·
Premium Member
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
18,102 Posts
Yes, windshield. What's the question?

You have the Huper Optik on your windshield?
just a 5 inch visor at the top.

are you referring to a clear film? UV is already almost totally blocked - not sure on IR but likely is very attenuated.

it you mean an actual tint for the entire windshield - you will have problems law enforcement.

OK, there is a protective fil for the outside, but this appears to be the issue at hand;

*******Click to Play

This new, super High-Tech "Nano-Ceramic" film is virtually clear, as it meters at 80% VLT. As long as the cumulative Visible Light Transmission (VLT) of your windshield and sample of the film that we temporarily adhere to your windshield for testing does not fall below 70%, it complies with the Federal Standard (FMVSS-205) that governs the front windshield. We will meter every windshield before and after installation to certify it conforms. (Vehicles that fail the meter test cannot be done.)

So, whether you currently have the sides and back windows of your vehicle tinted or not, now is the time to get AIR Blue installed on your vehicle's front windshield to cut the heat from the largest piece of glass on your vehicle!

Click on the Free Estimate button NOW, get an Instant Estimate for several of our Lifetime Warranty FormulaOne Films, including this NEW AIR Blue film for your front windshield! You can also make your appointment online and finally block the sun's heat & UV Rays from hitting you directly in the face every day! *********

from; http://tnttinting.com/node/1228

Pretty sure UV is already blocked per a post of a reply from Subaru I've read recently.

as for IR or 'heat' - I dunno, if it works and there's no downside - go for it.

·
Registered
06 OBW 2.5i Ltd 5MT
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
06 OBW 2.5i Ltd 5MT
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Heat rejection films are normally applied to the interior of flat glass windows to reduce the amount of infrared, visible light, and ultraviolet (UV) radiation entering windows. Such films are usually dyed or metalized (which can be transparent to visible light) to convert incoming solar radiation to infrared radiation, which is then rejected back through the glass to the exterior."[1] Modern window film technology has created Ceramic Window Film which are non-metallic and do not contain dyes that can result in discoloration. The ceramic and metallic window films usually cost 10–15 percent more than regular window film but can reduce energy transmission by as much as 80 percent."[2] Ceramic window films cost slightly more but provide a substantial increase in blocking UV rays and ability to control heat transfer.
Window film - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Why are they illegal? They are legal in Texas.
Only at or above the AS-1 line.

Windshield's in Texas
Sunscreening devices cannot be applied to the windshield unless the conditions below are met.

1. Sunscreening devices must be applied above the AS-1 line. If there is no AS-1 line, sunscreening devices must end five inches below the top of the windshield. If the AS-1 line is less than five inches from the top of the windshield, it will mark the end of the permissible area. If the AS-1 line is more than five inches from the top pf the windshield the five inch measurement will mark the end of the permissible area.
2. Sunscreening devices may not be red, amber, or blue in color.
3. Sunscreening devices, when measured in combination with the original glass, must have a light transmittance value of 25% or more.
4. Sunscreening devices, when measured in combination with the original glass, must have a luminous reflectance value of 25% or less.

·
Registered
06 OBW 2.5i Ltd 5MT
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not sure where you copy/pasta that info from upflying.

I already checked with my local installers and it is 100% legal to cover the entire front windshield with these new kinds of films.

*edit: your info refers to Sunscreening devices. These films are not considered Sunscreening devices since they still allow legal levels of VLT%

just so everyone is clear, I am not referring to window tint. These are front windshield films designed to keep solar radiation from entering your vehicle.

·
Registered
06 OBW 2.5i Ltd 5MT
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
so does anyone have this film installed on their windshield? any reports on it's effectiveness in reducing heat inside the vehicle?

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
4,860 Posts
just a 5 inch visor at the top.

are you referring to a clear film? UV is already almost totally blocked - not sure on IR but likely is very attenuated.

...the front windshield stops 0% of UV. There was a post on this forum a short time ago where the poster copied an email from SOA about UV blockage. Every window EXCEPT the front had some sort of UV block. Couldn't find the post...but remember reading it. :)

·
Premium Member
2012 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited
961 Posts
If you want to look cool, then go do it. But to do it to reduce UV, then it is 100% waste of money! See my link above by Lucky Texan.

·
Registered
06 OBW 2.5i Ltd 5MT
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If you want to look cool, then go do it. But to do it to reduce UV, then it is 100% waste of money! See my link above by Lucky Texan.
did you even read this thread before you decided to comment?

·
Premium Member
961 Posts
I want to decrease the amount of heat entering the car, so these UV and IR reducing films seem promising.
These are front windshield films designed to keep solar radiation from entering your vehicle.
did you even read this thread before you decided to comment?
Yeah...and...the windshield blocks 100% of UV and, likely, much of IR.

Here are the UV penetration levels for the glass on your Outback:
Windshield - 0%
Moonroof - 4%
Front door glass - 19%
Rear door glass - 5%
Rear door partition glass - 4%
Rear quarter glass - 12%
Rear glass - 5%
What did i miss?

·
Registered
06 OBW 2.5i Ltd 5MT
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok, I thought you just jumped in this thread and thought we we're talking about window tint with your comment.

So you think that a clear film on my windshield will make me look cool? :confused:

Can you point me to some hard info about IR blocking in the windshield? That linked thread only mentions UV.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Not sure where you copy/pasta that info from upflying.

I already checked with my local installers and it is 100% legal to cover the entire front windshield with these new kinds of films.

*edit: your info refers to Sunscreening devices. These films are not considered Sunscreening devices since they still allow legal levels of VLT%

just so everyone is clear, I am not referring to window tint. These are front windshield films designed to keep solar radiation from entering your vehicle.
Checking with local installers is not exactly unbiased information.
Check with a DPS Trooper too.
Is this a clear film applied to the outside surface of the windshield?
TxDPS website:
http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/rsd/vi/consumerinfo/windowTint.htm
It does appear a clear UV film is legal anywhere on the windshield.

·
Premium Member
961 Posts
So you think that a clear film on my windshield will make me look cool? :confused:

Can you point me to some hard info about IR blocking in the windshield? That linked thread only mentions UV.
Well, if it is not needed, then why put it on, right?

Most modern glass that blocks UV also does an excellent job on IR. You can spend your money anyway you want...but i am just pointing out the facts.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts