Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at a used 2012 outback and I want to protect my purchase. I'm trying to decide if I'd be better off having the dealer certify the car or paying a little more for the 7 year/100,000 mile subaru gold extended warranty.

Does anyone have any opinions on what's best?

·
Registered
2011 OB 2.5i Prem CVT HK/AWP, Ruby Red Pearl
3,322 Posts
First, how many miles are on the car?<O:p</O:p
Post face value, why have the car Cert when you’re buying the Gold anyway. What are the added/realized costs between Cert/Classic/Gold?<O:p</O:p

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The car only has 10K miles. I'm trying to decide between the certification which only covers the power train and the extended warranty which is basically bumper to bumper. I don't think I'd need both.

·
Registered
2012 Impreza Sport Ltd 2013 Outback Limited SAP
1,495 Posts
Go for the Gold Plus (Warranty Thread) from Joe. I believe that the Certified dealer cost is about $500 and it only covers the power train as you indicated. The Gold Plus will cover much more (almost; but not quite, bumper to bumper).

·
Registered
2011 OB 2.5i Prem CVT HK/AWP, Ruby Red Pearl
3,322 Posts
Correct. You certainly don’t have the sales rep Cert the car, then move on to Finance and buy an Ext = double jeopardy.<O:p</O:p
What trim/pkg is this? 10K is just the mileage, which doesn’t show us car’s actual condition. W/o the terms in hand… Do you need B2B on Used, and get the Classic 7/100K? Then there’s still Ded.<O:p</O:p
It's all relative to your valuation.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's a 2012 outback limited. I'm going over to look at it in a few hours so I wanted to know whether or not to push for the cert.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Go for the Gold Plus (Warranty Thread) from Joe. I believe that the Certified dealer cost is about $500 and it only covers the power train as you indicated. The Gold Plus will cover much more (almost; but not quite, bumper to bumper).
Would the dealer compete with Joe's price or is it not worth asking? Also is the price less for a used car or is it just one price?

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Would the dealer compete with Joe's price or is it not worth asking? Also is the price less for a used car or is it just one price?
The price is the same for a new and used car.

Would not hurt to ask regarding Joe's prices. If you can get it locally for about $100/$150 difference, it might be better to purchase locally (good will on your part), I did that and it was a win-win deal; however, my purchase was for a new car.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Keep in mind Dealer certified may only be worth the paper that dealer writes certified on. Meaning you move or have some type of issue while on a road trip and none of the other dealers see your car as being special with a certified status.

Get the Gold warranty if your worried. Depending on how your State defines a new car this might play a role in how this certified thing works also.

·
Registered
2013 Legacy Lim CVT Car: 2011 OB Prem 6MT Car: 2006 Miata GT 6MT mc: 2003 Honda GL1800A * Reunite Gondwanaland *
3,567 Posts
Keep in mind Dealer certified may only be worth the paper that dealer writes certified on.
Just plain wrong. Soobie's CPO program (like that of most other brands)
gives you 7yr/100k/$0-deductible drivetrain warranty plus 24/7 roadside
assistance. It's backed by SOA and good at EVERY Soobie dealer in USA.

The Soobie CPO program also offers 2 optional "wrap-around" upgrades
to extend CPO coverage even further -- at additional cost, of course.
(Don't see furtheer details on subaru.com; might have to ask a dealer.)

Are CPO/warranty plans "worth it?" ...kinda depends on the price, huh?

...beware of net."experts"

Looby

Reactions: d-hunter1

·
Registered
2010 Outback 3.6 Limited
52 Posts
I say neither! Put the money you're planning to spend on the CPO/warranty in the bank as a car repair fund and chances are plenty of it will still be there once the warranty period expires.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
I say neither! Put the money you're planning to spend on the CPO/warranty in the bank as a car repair fund and chances are plenty of it will still be there once the warranty period expires.
Some say this and others are more informed. The ~$1,200 for the Gold Plus 7 year, 100k miles, with zero deductible would easily be offset with any major repair. Now if you did not experience any problems during that period, then all you got for your money is "peace of mind".

·
Registered
2010 Outback 3.6 Limited
52 Posts
and others are more informed.
Really? The statistics are not in favor of buying warranties of any kind. Could you have a $1200 repair in the timeframe? Sure. Will you have two? (Which is what you would need in order to come out ahead.) How many $1200 repairs have you guys needed in 7 years of ownership? On a Subaru?
Add to the fact that you may have to jump through the hoops of getting the repair actually covered under the warranty.
Sure you get the peace of mind, but you may also walk away from money in the end.
Oh and G-Omaha, don't be an a$$ just because someone doesn't agree with you, forums are here so that the OP can ask a question and get different opinions to make the best decision.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Not being an A$$, and stand by my statement. For me it worked, for you it may not - no problem, no money exchanged, and no hassle. I think that the post is calling the kettle black here!

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Just plain wrong. Soobie's CPO program (like that of most other brands)
gives you 7yr/100k/$0-deductible drivetrain warranty plus 24/7 roadside
assistance. It's backed by SOA and good at EVERY Soobie dealer in USA.

The Soobie CPO program also offers 2 optional "wrap-around" upgrades
to extend CPO coverage even further -- at additional cost, of course.
(Don't see furtheer details on subaru.com; might have to ask a dealer.)

Are CPO/warranty plans "worth it?" ...kinda depends on the price, huh?

...beware of net."experts"

Looby

Looby there is CPO and there is ahem sure we will certify it wink wink. There have been plenty of dealers out there who claim to have CPO cars when they didn't.

·
Registered
'08 Veracruz Limited
3,992 Posts
Some say this and others are more informed.
So the company (Subaru) that actually has the information required to underwrite such warranties profitably prices them where they know they'll lose money, on average, for each warranty sold?

Doubt it. If you want to buy the warranty, power to ya. Just stop trying to sell it as a good financial bet. It's ridiculous.

·
Registered
2013 Legacy Lim CVT Car: 2011 OB Prem 6MT Car: 2006 Miata GT 6MT mc: 2003 Honda GL1800A * Reunite Gondwanaland *
3,567 Posts
There have been plenty of dealers out there who claim
to have CPO cars when they didn't.
Any buyer stupid enough to accept a "verbal certification"
almost deserves to be ripped off. OTOH, if you have any
piece of paper with the dealer's name or a Subaru logo
on it, along with the word "certified," you're home free.

Both SOA and any small claims court in the country would
come down hard on that village idiot of a dealer.

Looby

Reactions: d-hunter1
1 - 17 of 17 Posts