Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
  • Submissions are now being taken for JUNE OUTBACK OF THE MONTH
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Outback xt
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a 2020 Outback Limited XT and thinking about getting a Wilderness.

Has anybody made the switch? What are the pros and cons? the raised roof raise I think I will miss.

Thoughts

·
Registered
47 Posts
I'm no expert and waiting for the orders to open up for a '23 OBW. Had a '22 Onyx ordered but changed my mind.
From looking into it, the advantage of the OBW is an inch more ground clearance, different bumpers given better approach and departure angles, 4.44 gears instead of 4.11 giving better acceleration, revised CVT programming for off road, synthetic seat covers (I don't like leather), 17" wheels instead of 18" for a better ride, and stronger roof rack.

Cons are worse gas mileage, not as good sound system, no acoustic glass on the front side windows, no nanny telling you to stay awake, not as much cladding, and......

Probably forgot a lot of stuff.

·
Registered
2022 Wilderness
401 Posts
Honestly in Jan when I bought the Wilderness, there were no XT anything around for hours. I luckily got my hands on the Willdy. I would have preferred a limited or even touring XT. They just started appearing now with no deposits on them. I’m satisfied enough with the wilderness. I have a better appreciation of the StarTex as I was recently caught in a major storm riding my bike for over an hour in mud and major downpour. I hopped in the seat and didn’t worry. My front seat was like a mud covered bear sat in it and was soaked. Cleaned right up and looks good as new. It’s what it was made for. The limited leather probably wouldn’t take too many of those situations very well and I would have a stack of towels in the back with me at all times for when these things happened.

Reactions: DanielAcosta

·
Registered
2021 Touring XT
131 Posts
I'm no expert and waiting for the orders to open up for a '23 OBW. Had a '22 Onyx ordered but changed my mind.
From looking into it, the advantage of the OBW is an inch more ground clearance, different bumpers given better approach and departure angles, 4.44 gears instead of 4.11 giving better acceleration, revised CVT programming for off road, synthetic seat covers (I don't like leather), 17" wheels instead of 18" for a better ride, and stronger roof rack.

Cons are worse gas mileage, not as good sound system, no acoustic glass on the front side windows, no nanny telling you to stay awake, not as much cladding, and......

No ventilated seats. That was seriously a deciding factor for me, but I went with the Touring XT to get them (I don’t think the limited has it).

I’m not terribly convinced that the Wilderness is that much more capable off road - a bit more than a regular Outback, but a long way from being a 4Runner.

·
Registered
2021 Touring XT
131 Posts
Honestly in Jan when I bought the Wilderness, there were no XT anything around for hours. I luckily got my hands on the Willdy. I would have preferred a limited or even touring XT. They just started appearing now with no deposits on them. I’m satisfied enough with the wilderness. I have a better appreciation of the StarTex as I was recently caught in a major storm riding my bike for over an hour in mud and major downpour. I hopped in the seat and didn’t worry. My front seat was like a mud covered bear sat in it and was soaked. Cleaned right up and looks good as new. It’s what it was made for. The limited leather probably wouldn’t take too many of those situations very well and I would have a stack of towels in the back with me at all times for when these things happened.
i fjnd that leather cleans up very well actually. Had leather in a Forester and abused the heck out of that thing and the seats looked great after 8 years. BUT…the Touring XT has perforated leather front seats (not sure about the limited). That seems like it will be a problem for cleaning.

·
Registered
2014 2.5
118 Posts
No ventilated seats. That was seriously a deciding factor for me, but I went with the Touring XT to get them (I don’t think the limited has it).

I’m not terribly convinced that the Wilderness is that much more capable off road - a bit more than a regular Outback, but a long way from being a 4Runner.
There are alot of youtube videos of the wilderness staying with 4runners, some have upgrades like a auto diffy lock etc. but unless you are rock climbing I don't think there is much the wilderness cannot do that a 4 runner can. Also that turbo is going to really help at high altitudes.

·
Registered
'22 OBW (moonroof, OEM underguards, Pedal Commander)
520 Posts
I’m not terribly convinced that the Wilderness is that much more capable off road - a bit more than a regular Outback, . . . .
Well, there's that bit of extra clearance, somewhat better approach angles, and better gear ratio . . . . OBs are very capable vehicles, OBWs take it a step further.

. . . . but a long way from being a 4Runner.
Which is unremarkable, since OBWs aren't supposed to be 4Runners . . .

·
Registered
2022 Subaru Outback Wilderness
57 Posts

I traded in my Forester Touring for the Wilderness and Afret hit the nail on the head with the Cons - except for gas mileage - if you have a "gentle" foot you can exceed the 22/24/26 estimates - particularly on the highway, set the cruise and if you don't mind getting passed by everyone you will do fine. Mind you there are times when I am not paying attention when driving and look at the speedometer and find that I am going over 80 mph the acceleration is that smooth and the ride is great. The sound system does need help and thank God the nanny was muzzled. I love my OBW - picked it up on February 4th of this year and just turned over 18,000 miles, no problems whatsoever.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Have an OBW, not familiar with Limited XT . . . but will toss my two cents in.

Worst OBW drawback -- gas mileage
You'll also not get ventilated seats or a heated steering wheel

Best OBW features -- more lift, better gear ratio, CVT tuned differently (I'm told), advanced X Mode (read the details carefully -- it's not just having two X Modes, but being able to drive faster in X Mode 2), the 2.4L turbo

It's all about where you live and most frequent driving conditions vs. what you might like being able to do when occasion presents.

Not an easy decision -- good luck with it. Please let us know what you decide and why.

·
Registered
2022 Subaru Outback Wilderness
57 Posts
Have an OBW, not familiar with Limited XT . . . but will toss my two cents in.

Worst OBW drawback -- gas mileage
You'll also not get ventilated seats or a heated steering wheel

Best OBW features -- more lift, better gear ratio, CVT tuned differently (I'm told), advanced X Mode (read the details carefully -- it's not just having two X Modes, but being able to drive faster in X Mode 2), the 2.4L turbo

It's all about where you live and most frequent driving conditions vs. what you might like being able to do when occasion presents.

Not an easy decision -- good luck with it. Please let us know what you decide and why.
Forgot about the heated steering wheel, had it and miss it in the OBW - never had ventilated seats, so you can't miss what you never had.

·
Registered
2022 Wilderness
401 Posts
i fjnd that leather cleans up very well actually. Had leather in a Forester and abused the heck out of that thing and the seats looked great after 8 years. BUT…the Touring XT has perforated leather front seats (not sure about the limited). That seems like it will be a problem for cleaning.
It might clean up nicely sure…. But the perforations certainly won’t play well with water. When I say I was soaked…. I couldn’t be any more wet if I jumped in the river. For sure that would have soaked right through and got the foam pretty wet with the leather seats. Jumping in the car just dirty and surface cleaning are different than the seat soaking through and the startex prevents that much better.

·
Registered
2021 Touring XT
20 Posts
Well, there's that bit of extra clearance, somewhat better approach angles, and better gear ratio . . . . OBs are very capable vehicles, OBWs take it a step further.

Which is unremarkable, since OBWs aren't supposed to be 4Runners . . .
LMAO! 1 inch of extra clearance, now you are an off roader. oh and slap loads of extra plastic for scratches.

·
Registered
2022 Outback Wilderness
154 Posts
Some of the criticisms of the Wilderness model is very strange and oddly defensive from those who own the Limited or Touring XT. Almost feels as if the very existence of the Wilderness model is hurting some of y'all in some way.

The Limited/Touring XT and the Wilderness are meant for slightly different purposes and for slightly different demographics. It's an individual choice at the end of the day.

Is the Wilderness a little bit more capable off-road than non-Wilderness trims? Yes, and there are plenty of videos on YouTube to prove it, as well as the experiences of some of us who have taken our OBWs off-road. Does that make it a 4Runner competitor? Well, let me see - the 4Runner is a 15-year-old platform, gets 15mpg highway, far less comfortable than the Outback, the TRD trims of the 4Runner are far more expensive than the OBW, and the non-TRD trims of the 4Runner are not that much more capable off-road than an OBW right out of the factory, especially since the non-TRD 4Runners come with less ground clearance than the OBW and they come with all-season tires instead of the all-terrains on the OBW. Yes, you can "make" a 4Runner into a very capable rock climber and get into places a Subaru could not, but you are definitely NOT doing that with a stock 4Runner. A Wrangler comparison is even more foolish because that vehicle is even worse on-road - which is 99% of anyone's driving miles, even for the most hardcore off-roader.

No Subaru is going to be a dedicated rock climber, but most off-roading is also not rock climbing. There is more to off-roading than that. A Ford Raptor is also a pretty terrible choice for rock climber, but no one is going to criticize a Raptor for being incapable off-road.

·
Registered
2021 Touring XT
20 Posts
Some of the criticisms of the Wilderness model is very strange and oddly defensive from those who own the Limited or Touring XT. Almost feels as if the very existence of the Wilderness model is hurting some of y'all in some way.

The Limited/Touring XT and the Wilderness are meant for slightly different purposes and for slightly different demographics. It's an individual choice at the end of the day.

Is the Wilderness a little bit more capable off-road than non-Wilderness trims? Yes, and there are plenty of videos on YouTube to prove it, as well as the experiences of some of us who have taken our OBWs off-road. Does that make it a 4Runner competitor? Well, let me see - the 4Runner is a 15-year-old platform, gets 15mpg highway, far less comfortable than the Outback, the TRD trims of the 4Runner are far more expensive than the OBW, and the non-TRD trims of the 4Runner are not that much more capable off-road than an OBW right out of the factory, especially since the non-TRD 4Runners come with less ground clearance than the OBW and they come with all-season tires instead of the all-terrains on the OBW. Yes, you can "make" a 4Runner into a very capable rock climber and get into places a Subaru could not, but you are definitely NOT doing that with a stock 4Runner. A Wrangler comparison is even more foolish because that vehicle is even worse on-road - which is 99% of anyone's driving miles, even for the most hardcore off-roader.

No Subaru is going to be a dedicated rock climber, but most off-roading is also not rock climbing. There is more to off-roading than that. A Ford Raptor is also a pretty terrible choice for rock climber, but no one is going to criticize a Raptor for being incapable off-road.
just stating the obvious fact that its just ! inch lol. people with touring xt's could have afforded a wilderness but decided to get the more expensive trim. don't think we are envious lol.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Outback xt
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you all for the responses. I put the order in yesterday, late August, early September delivery. The things I will miss most are the heated steering wheel(I thought nothing of this upgrade, but loved it), retractable roof rails and a bit lower gas mileage. I will not miss the nanny telling me not to look away. We got Option 22, which brings back a few features the Limited had. The full-size spare is something I like, I take my Subaru off the beaten path in Colorado, and knowing I will still be able to go back a lot easier is nice.

The only reason we are swapping is that we were leasing and have $8,500 equity in our 2020 Outback Limited XT. With the equity and money saved for the lease-end; we will get a conventional loan with low payments. Plus we will have a car until the new one arrives.

Sorry for the repost, I find the forum so overwhelming to get answers.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I feel like on the face of it people have the perception that the OBW is a trim level higher or the top dog of all things OB. They may never have sit down and really looked at the trims and learned that it really isn't but rather just a trim level for a specific demographic.
Keep in mind, these are people who buy an 8,000lb four wheel drive gas drinking petrol hog so the diminutive little soccer mom can pick up the kids and get groceries. The vehicle will never see a dirt road let alone a grass hill or big rock, they simply must have everything that can be had.
If that's the perception people look at the OBW with they will certainly be disappointed and start criticizing, comparing it to whatever they feel is better.
Maybe it has something to do with marketing? I don't know. What I know is I chose my car based on features I wanted and those I didn't. That's how I wound up with a Limited XT.
Just a few days ago the wife was chiding me about how if wanted black wheels I should have got the Onyx. "Yes dear, but then I'd have the sucky sound system and the hot, sticky, plastic seats, not what I wanted ".
I don't compare my car to an Onyx or OBW outside of what features they have vs the one they don't and I'm perfectly happy with my choice. I certainly don't feel the need to complain that the OBW doesn't have my car's features.

·
Registered
2021 XT Touring Popular package #2 OEM Hitch
649 Posts
just stating the obvious fact that its just ! inch lol. people with touring xt's could have afforded a wilderness but decided to get the more expensive trim. don't think we are envious lol.
Exactly I use a beater truck, modified for off road. My touring xt is for 610 mile slogs to see family. If I did not have the beater truck. I would just tow a utv with the OB.
I find interesting all the widernisess I see are car show clean.

·
Registered
520 Posts
LMAO! 1 inch of extra clearance, now you are an off roader. oh and slap loads of extra plastic for scratches.
Maybe read the whole post before responding. But you be you.

Reactions: Carnerd

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Exactly I use a beater truck, modified for off road. My touring xt is for 610 mile slogs to see family. If I did not have the beater truck. I would just tow a utv with the OB.
I find interesting all the widernisess I see are car show clean.
Much the same for me. It's a great road trip car, and I use it for commuting as well. My truck and/or the occasional Wrangler go off road.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts