Subaru Outback Forums banner
61 - 80 of 172 Posts
Yes it is an "update" when offered OTA. 504 was not offered OTA. It is a tool for dealer techs to remediate customer issues. 704 is the OTA update, unfortunately that did not go smoothly when first rolled out.

Like many topics on this forum, stories of dealer techs bricking head units while performing the 504 update are greatly exaggerated. The only bricked units my son has seen were caused by the 704 OTA update.

There is clear disdain for dealer service departments in this forum, but that is not the real world. In the real world, many owners rely on the dealer for their auto maintenance and repair needs.
It is an "update" no matter how or where it is offered... I understand that it is personal to you since your son works at a dealership, but that does not invalidate the poor experiences that many people have and the poor knowledge level of many employees at many dealerships. Your son does not represent all employees at all Subaru dealerships. Some people had dealerships that were so clueless that the dealership tech attempted the update OTA instead of by USB. Yes, many people do rely on their dealerships... which makes it all the more frustrating when they receive subpar service or apathy from the dealership that they rely upon. I let the dealership service my vehicle while it is under warranty, and while Subaru has generally been a better experience than other brands, they still have left me a bit underwhelmed with their service at times.

It is an "update" no matter how or where it is offered... I understand that it is personal to you since your son works at a dealership, but that does not invalidate the poor experiences that many people have and the poor knowledge level of many employees at many dealerships. Your son does not represent all employees at all Subaru dealerships. Some people had dealerships that were so clueless that the dealership tech attempted the update OTA instead of by USB. Yes, many people do rely on their dealerships... which makes it all the more frustrating when they receive subpar service or apathy from the dealership that they rely upon. I let the dealership service my vehicle while it is under warranty, and while Subaru has generally been a better experience than other brands, they still have left me a bit underwhelmed with their service at times.
Totally agree. When a dealer I was trying out bricked my head unit doing an incomplete 504 update, it was my normal dealer who gave me the files to complete the install myself, which saved having to replace the head unit. Those same files are the ones I shared and so many others successfully used as well. I have a long relationship with the service manager at my normal dealer which no doubt contributed to his willingness to give me those files. His help, along with support from SOA, when dealing with persistent problems with our 19 Outback are why we now have a 20 Outback instead of another brand.

Sometimes dealer service departments have incomplete information as well. Another thread here talks about a tsb to update the AVH and ACC characteristics, but doesn't give any detail on what it's actually correcting with those systems. My dealer has no additional information other than the same cryptic bulletin posted on this site. Since I'm not having any problems with those systems, I'm leaving well enough alone. Everyone had the same problems with 502 and 503 on the infotainment system, so doing 504 was a no brainer. Many want the mysterious 980 update that moves start-stop to the top level, which is admittedly a nice improvement that takes advantage of the ability to do software updates to the big screen electronic system, but since I'm in the minority that leaves start-stop on anyway, that alone will not be a reason for me to pursue that particular update. If it turns out 980 eliminates some of the other small bugs that remain in 504, I'll look at it then.

For those who have been so unhappy with the initial bugs Subaru had with the 20 Outback, it could be worse. There are several 21 GM models with skipping audio when using wireless CarPlay. Since other manufacturer's wireless CarPlay does not have this problem, this looks like a big bug resting squarely on GM's shoulders.

One of the best surprises with the 20 Outback was how quickly Subaru was able to adapt to use full screen portrait CarPlay. We were really hesitant switching to the 20's initial tiny CarPlay display compared to the excellent landscape display in the 19, but we liked the overall platform so much better we made the change anyway. Having the display updated in the first year of ownership has been a much appreciated bonus.

Many want the mysterious 980 update that moves start-stop to the top level, which is admittedly a nice improvement that takes advantage of the ability to do software updates to the big screen electronic system, but since I'm in the minority that leaves start-stop on anyway, that alone will not be a reason for me to pursue that particular update. If it turns out 980 eliminates some of the other small bugs that remain in 504, I'll look at it then.
Solid reasoning. No reason to tempt fate for a feature that isn't significant to you.

+1000000. Love this idea.

Also, regarding some of the other posts, keep in mind:

Factory is manufacturing cars constantly. They will be parked for long term storage in the “port” until someone with a specific customization requests that “build”.

Example: I factory ordered a 2021 Onyx XT in Black with no factory moonroof package back in October. It’s possible this could have been built in June or July and parked, waiting to be matched to a build or allocated to a dealer network region. Other accessories get added once matched to the factory build and option pack.

Subaru STIS should have the USB downloadable file and associated TSB/installation procedures available. Anyone want to roll the dice with a 3-day membership and snoop around?

A member on the Forester forum posted the downloadable files and they were different based off your head unit / audio system in the vehicle, so there is that caviat.

Very excited for these changes. There are some perks to the touchscreen controlling so much, things can actually change for the better down the road...

I would love to see them add more voice commands. People are critical of the seat heat for example, and it would be easier to say “passenger seat heat 3” so you don’t have to look away from the road.

Thanks again for posting this @Hokieman ; - you made a lot of people happy today!
I think that you will find they are not building cars and storing them in a lot somewhere. Cars are sold when built and shipped to dealers when completed. Dealers are allocated cars on at least a monthly basis, depending on the manufacturer, and these are then manufactured to the order specs of the dealer.

Reactions: VanWaXT and 2020XT
Exactly, no, but the prevailing theory, based on the way it was developed, and the other Subaru auto-stop devices from the same manufacturer, is this:

The device monitors the canbus to detect the start-stop on command, or the start-stop off command. Whichever one it sees, it will "remember" which one it saw last and when the car powers on, it will send that command to the canbus.

Does that make sense? So in essence it's a memory device more than anything else.

Exactly, no, but the prevailing theory, based on the way it was developed, and the other Subaru auto-stop devices from the same manufacturer, is this:

The device monitors the canbus to detect the start-stop on command, or the start-stop off command. Whichever one it sees, it will "remember" which one it saw last and when the car powers on, it will send that command to the canbus.

Does that make sense? So in essence it's a memory device more than anything else.
Makes sense and that is the way it works. I purchased one and installed it and forgot there ever was a start/stop. It works. Keeps it on for future starts if it is on at car stop and off if it is off. The install on a 20 OB is rather easy. It interfaces with the canbus at the camera connection under the sun glass holder. I got the introductory price having ordered it in August - it was delivered in September because of a connector back order. In short it monitors the canbus with a micro (uses a pic18) and remembers the state of start/stop and issues the command to turn it off at engine start. It works seamlessly and in my book well is worth it. You will never have to worry or even think about this again. Some may think that $100 is too much to pay for that feature but if you own the car for many years I would say it is. I also purchased the Fumoto oil drain valve which is worth its weight in gold if you change your own oil.

Combined with the top mount oil filter it's so effortless it's almost fun changing oil with a Fumoto.

edit - found a reference to the Pic18 - very interesting!

After power-on, the PIC18 starts to execute instructions from address 0

Just curious, since I see this discussion often in the weekly digests, has anyone tried Auto Start-Stop Eliminator: Subaru Auto Stop-Start Disable
I was a nay-sayer at first. When I took delivery of my OB in August and arrived here in this forum reading all this, I thought, "There's no way I am tearing apart my camera housing to install that silly thing." To be honest I was kind of fearful to do it. But, I did and it was an easy install and now I just start my OB, warm it past fast-idle and go. No more jerky stop-starts. No stops and then restarts when I park my OB. No having to remember to turn the freaking thing off. No, I did not get intro price, but I got a darn good coupon and no shipping so I also didn't pay $100. Either way, worth every penny.

Makes sense and that is the way it works. I purchased one and installed it and forgot there ever was a start/stop. It works. Keeps it on for future starts if it is on at car stop and off if it is off. The install on a 20 OB is rather easy. It interfaces with the canbus at the camera connection under the sun glass holder. I got the introductory price having ordered it in August - it was delivered in September because of a connector back order. In short it monitors the canbus with a micro (uses a pic18) and remembers the state of start/stop and issues the command to turn it off at engine start. It works seamlessly and in my book is well worth it. You will never have to worry or even think about this again. Some may think that $100 is too much to pay for that feature but if you own the car for many years I would say it is well worth it. I also purchased the Fumoto oil drain valve which is worth its weight in gold if you change your own oil.

I had a scary thought... What if it is on a timer and you have the ASS eliminator, will the timer function send out an ASS on command and reset the Eliminator device and thus it will be rendered useless? I'm not getting any update until I know for sure it will not render my ASS eliminator useless. I have already forgotten how much I hate that dam ASS feature.

I had a scary thought... What if it is on a timer and you have the ASS eliminator, will the timer function send out an ASS on command and reset the Eliminator device and thus it will be rendered useless? I'm not getting any update until I know for sure it will not render my ASS eliminator useless. I have already forgotten how much I hate that dam ASS feature.
I don't think they would ever do that. Doesn't make sense they would. I know it was mentioned by the OP, but I think it was the fact that the toggle-icon is now (will be) so convenient that it was pressed off by mistake when surfing through all the menus. New owner unfamiliar with the system.

Also, this isn't like Apple with the iPhone trying to prevent jailbreaking. I doubt Subaru could care less to try and render the ASE useless with an update. If they did, it would be an accident. That being said, I am sure the thought has crossed all our minds. Who will be the first ASE owner to update? ;)

61 - 80 of 172 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.