Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2018 OB 2.5 Ltd, No Eyesight, No Navigation
3,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Yes/No?

I am thinking yes I will start doing this between oil changes, and I am not sure why I have not thought of this before. I drive in “severe conditions” according to Subaru’s service manual. I buy filters in bulk and get them for less than $5 each. Also, changing the oil filter on my 2.5 engine is easier than filling up my fuel tank at the pump. Money, hassle, and time are not issues here. If filters were like $20 each or if the filter change took more than 3 minutes, then I would not do this.

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
15,571 Posts
I use Royal Purple 5W30 synthetic in my cars. I go 10k miles between changes and 5k for the filter. All ís good.

Changing your filter often isn't going to harm anything. Just make sure you check and top the oil after the first crank.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Limited, Ice Silver/Black
2,378 Posts
Waste of money, IMO, but feel free. It's you money, not mine.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Premier 2.5i
948 Posts
Your severe conditions are what? If dust, the air filter is more of an issue. If heat extremes, short trips, many cold starts and the like are those extreme conditions, then the oil itself is bearing the brunt of the conditions. Changing the oil filter only in any of these situations is a waste of money IMO. It's there to filter out particulate, not compensate for oil degradation due to severe use. I'd be suspicious of a $5 filter anyway, but oil filters have been covered in the forum umpteen times and I don't want to start another debate.

·
SubaruOutback.org Founder
2021 Outback Limited 2.5L - 🍦The Ice Cream Man🍦
5,606 Posts
Yes/No?

I am thinking yes I will start doing this between oil changes, and I am not sure why I have not thought of this before. I drive in “severe conditions” according to Subaru’s service manual. I buy filters in bulk and get them for less than $5 each. Also, changing the oil filter on my 2.5 engine is easier than filling up my fuel tank at the pump. Money, hassle, and time are not issues here. If filters were like $20 each or if the filter change took more than 3 minutes, then I would not do this.
What oil filters are you using?

My most recent oil filter purchase was nine Wix 57055 filters from Rock Auto for under $5 each. If it were me I and I were running 3000 mile severe service oil change intervals, I would just run that Wix for 6000-9000 miles before taking it off because they are rated for 10,000 miles of total usage.

·
Registered
2018 OB 2.5 Ltd, No Eyesight, No Navigation
3,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
What oil filters are you using?

My most recent oil filter purchase was nine Wix 57055 filters from Rock Auto for under $5 each. If it were me I and I were running 3000 mile severe service oil change intervals, I would just run that Wix for 6000-9000 miles before taking it off because they are rated for 10,000 miles of total usage.
I bought the original filter in bulk. They are almost gone though. I will look into buying those filters.

·
Super Moderator
2016 3.6 Limited with ES
2,892 Posts
I believe it's a waste of money. Filters hold a lot of crud, especially high end ones, and at that change interval the filter isnt being worked at all.

There's no harm but no verifiable benefit either.

·
SubaruOutback.org Founder
2021 Outback Limited 2.5L - 🍦The Ice Cream Man🍦
5,606 Posts
I bought the original filter in bulk. They are almost gone though. I will look into buying those filters.
At this price the Wix 57055 (or clone Napa Gold 7055 when it goes on sale) is tough to beat, especially if you are a bypass valve enthusiast! It is a big step up from the OEM oil filter.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts