Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2013 OB Limited 2.5 CVT
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a 2013 OB Limited from the US. Everything is great but the odometer is in miles and the temperature is in degrees F.

I could find nothing in the manual that shows if it is possible to toggle between the two like most vehicles these days.

Anyone else run into this? Any solutions? Distance is a simple in the head conversion but temp is a pain.

Thanks

·
Registered
2020 Touring Onyx XT; 2014 Tribeca
399 Posts
I believe this is a dealer setting.

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,526 Posts
Cannot be the "dealer setting" since the dial is printed on a metal plate with large "miles" numbers and small "kilometers" numbers.... The dealer would have to change the instrument cluster panel with those markings....

·
Registered
2012 Impreza Sport Ltd 2013 Outback Limited SAP
1,495 Posts
Easiest fix is to buy the Canadian model! Actually it is the only fix.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i Premium 6MT
34 Posts
Looks like the cluster runs in the $230 range, I'd talk to a local dealer about getting it swapped out. I'd guess that the displayed temp is something easily changed without swapping hardware, but I'm not certain.

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited 2.5i
115 Posts
I think he is talking about the center panel display, not the dash.

According to the link below, all he needs to do is swap the display panel. That fixes the temp issue. He also created a custom circuit to alter the display settings for km remaining and fuel consumption

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...1-converting-trip-computer-metric-anyone.html

Changing the panel should be relatively inexpensive, at least compared to a dash and computer replacement.

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,526 Posts
Not sure what exactly is he talking about ... if it's the "odometer" - that would be in the instrument panel a.k.a. cluster and then the temp and trip A + B calculator, which would be in the center panel display....winnipegk5 should probably elaborate on this....

·
Registered
2013 OB Limited 2.5 CVT
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I can deal with the speedometer as it has both scales with the km being only slightily smaller.

It's the odometer and trip odometers that would be nice to change in the center of the dash cluster.

Also the temp read out in the center of the dash would be nice to toggle to celcius.

A lot of vehicles I have seen you can toggle between the two. Most Ford and Chevy products for sure.

But from the responses so far I am not hopeful.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
4,943 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT, 2013 Outback Lim SAP 270K, 2003 Outback Lim MT 2.5L, 241K..
2,230 Posts
I can deal with the speedometer as it has both scales with the km being only slightily smaller.

It's the odometer and trip odometers that would be nice to change in the center of the dash cluster.

Also the temp read out in the center of the dash would be nice to toggle to celcius.

A lot of vehicles I have seen you can toggle between the two. Most Ford and Chevy products for sure.

But from the responses so far I am not hopeful.

my 2013 US OB manual says you cant switch the temperature - that it comes how it comes - but there must be a way since its just a digital readout. I actually wanted to be able to switch it from time to time with a button - dont know why they dont make that possible.
The US should catch up with the rest of the world anyway, NASA lost a $125 million Mars orbiter in 99 due to us being on a different system than everyone else. I know first hand a lot of doctors come from other places to practice here in the US and this causes a lot of medical mistakes for fluids given and such - which can be very dangerous.
Ahhh but were a stubborn lot!

Good luck and congrats on your car!!

·
Registered
2013 OB Limited 2.5 CVT
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The metric system is very simple to work with once you get the concept. It's still odd here in Canada as most building is done with imperial measurements. Sheets of plywood are 4x8 , conduit comes in 10 foot pieces ans 2x4's are still 2x4's. Other than that everything is metric :)

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,526 Posts
my 2013 US OB manual says you cant switch the temperature - that it comes how it comes - but there must be a way since its just a digital readout. I actually wanted to be able to switch it from time to time with a button - dont know why they dont make that possible.
The US should catch up with the rest of the world anyway, NASA lost a $125 million Mars orbiter in 99 due to us being on a different system than everyone else. I know first hand a lot of doctors come from other places to practice here in the US and this causes a lot of medical mistakes for fluids given and such - which can be very dangerous.
Ahhh but were a stubborn lot!

Good luck and congrats on your car!!
Good old pres. Nixon wanted to change the entire U.S. to the metric system; unfortunately, he did not last to do so...
Some industries are already in metric system - like medical industry and film industry.
On December 31, 2012, a petition was created on the White House's petitioning system, petitioning the White House to "Make the Metric system the standard in the United States, instead of the Imperial system." On January 10, 2013, this petition garnered over 25,000 signatures - exceeding the threshold needed to require the ***** Administration to officially respond to the petition

·
Registered
03 Outback H6 base
252 Posts
I just purchased a 2013 OB Limited from the US. Everything is great but the odometer is in miles and the temperature is in degrees F.

I could find nothing in the manual that shows if it is possible to toggle between the two like most vehicles these days.

Anyone else run into this? Any solutions? Distance is a simple in the head conversion but temp is a pain.

Thanks
I found this on another forum: Link (it was "like a" a sticky; no other info)

Don't know if it will help but I remembered your question when I read this: Please disregard! I read this incorrectly. Only for older models; sorry.
Switching a digital dash from MPH to KM/H (or vice versa)
<hr style="color:#D1D1E1; background-color:#D1D1E1" size="1"> There is jumper (in fact it's a connector with two pins and a piece of wire between this two pins.) inside the dash. You can reach it without pulling the whole dash! Just loosen all the little srews around the transparent plastic cover and take away piece for piece. Then you will see this jumper.

Installed = MPH
Uninstalled = KM/H

It will only take about five to ten minutes.

And when the cover is already away, you can take the opportunity and clean everything with some dry cloth.

This will apply to digital dashes for EA82 of 1987 and later (the green ones).

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,526 Posts
OldStyle - WOW - do you know anybody who has actually changed it like this? Verrry interrrresting.... I may even bring these wires out and put some kind of a switch on the dashboard...LOL

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Applying a 1987 "fix" to 2013 model may work; however, I am not sure. After all the models are only 26 years different. I would think that the wiring harnesses and such would have significantly change in that "lifetime/generations". Just one man's opinion.

·
Registered
03 Outback H6 base
252 Posts
Applying a 1987 "fix" to 2013
Yes, THANK YOU! I read it wrong. I read '87 & up.

Opinion. Should I delete my posting? I'm think I should. I did edit a correction for now.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Yes, THANK YOU! I read it wrong. I read '87 & up.

Opinion. Should I delete my posting? I'm think I should. I did edit a correction for now.

It did say '87 and up (green one). Not sure if it applies to more current modes, though. I'd leave the posting "as is".

1 - 20 of 20 Posts