Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
OBXT Moderator, ,
2,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Given that the XT is here to stay (KOW), let's compile a list of changes we'd recommend to SOA in the stock vehicle.

Maybe our top 3. For example:

1. Different stock tires
2. MP3 adaptable audio
3. Floor mat clips that actually hold the floor mats in place.

Feel free to elaborate.

Perhaps if we get a critical mass, maybe there's a way we can pass the suggestions along.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Mudge,
#1 Couldn;t agree more!
#2 Yes, the HU should be able to play MP3s (costs an extra 25 cents to get the proper decoder chip) and it should have an aux-in for iPods or satelllite radios.
#3 has already been addressed!! They designed a much stronger carpet hook, just go ask your dealer to replace it.
------------------------------

#4 Improve that stupid ACC
#5 Tame the underdamped rear suspension, it is not good enough for such a fast car!
#6 Make the front reading lights come on and off with the central ceiling light. It's an easy mod, so why can't they do it?
#7 Add auto-down to the power windows. Residual power for a couple minutes after shutdown would be nice too. While you're at it, we should be able to close all windows and the moonroof from the outside with the key.
#8 Make sure the heated seats have a low setting. Right now they go from hot to very hot!
#9 Add memory settings to the power seats, and make sure the passenger seat has adjustments for the angle of seat bottom.
#10 Telescoping steering wheel.

That will do for now! :D

All small things, but they make a big difference when you get to that level of car.

·
Registered
665 Posts
1)ACC power with the car off but the doors closed
2)Second the ability to close the windows/sunroof with door key
3)Why is there only a magazine holder on the back of the passenger seat? Both seats should have one
4) AT tranny only: The sportshift stick should be geared like a Sequential tranny. Pulling back should upshift, pushing forward should downshift.
5)AT tranny only. Gearshift change on the steering wheel should be similar and on the backside of the steering wheel. +- are too close to each other on the front.

Jay

·
SubaruOutback.org Founder
4,255 Posts
I agree with pretty much everything everyone has said and although I don't own an OBXT I have a few things I'd like to change:

1. Make the Stereo head unit interchangable with an aftermarket unit.

2. Have the wagon sunroof as an option on the base XT model.

3. Add Willow Green / Moss Green color combo or each color seperately as special order color choices

4. Replace 5-speed manual with STi 6-speed manual

I'll think up some more later :)

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
1. Different stock tires
2. MP3 adaptable audio
3. Floor mat clips that actually hold the floor mats in place.
#4 Improve that stupid ACC
#5 Tame the underdamped rear suspension, it is not good enough for such a fast car!
#6 Make the front reading lights come on and off with the central ceiling light. It's an easy mod, so why can't they do it?
#7 Add auto-down to the power windows.
#8 Residual power for a couple minutes after shutdown would be nice too.(ACC power with the car off but the doors closed)
#9 Be able to close all windows and the moonroof from the outside with the key.
#10 Make sure the heated seats have a low setting. Right now they go from hot to very hot!
#11 Add memory settings to the power seats, and make sure the passenger seat has adjustments for the angle of seat bottom.
#12 Telescoping steering wheel.
#13 Why is there only a magazine holder on the back of the passenger seat? Both seats should have one
#14 AT tranny only: The sportshift stick should be geared like a Sequential tranny. Pulling back should upshift, pushing forward should downshift.
#15 AT tranny only. Gearshift change on the steering wheel should be similar and on the backside of the steering wheel. +- are too close to each other on the front.

My Additions

#16 AT tranny only. Have the ECU rev match on downshifts (blip the throttle)
#17 XT/XT LTD only. Add a boost gauge, or at least offer a factory/dealer OPTIONAL boost gauge
#18 XT/XT LTD and GT/GT LTD only. Re-design the hood Scoop/Intercooler so that they will work without that **** plastic cover over the engine.
#19 Larger "dead" pedal, and more foot room for driver.
#20 Better cupholders

·
Registered
134 Posts
I would like to particularly 2nd the following

#tires (enough said)
#MP3 capability and/or available harness for after market stereo
#lighting -- in add'n to what has been mentioned, why the heck can't I turn on the rear dome light from the front seat?!!
#I agree: those are some mighty hot seats (glad to hear I'm not the only one who thinks so)
#a mileage sticker that ACTUALLY reflects the mileage the car gets!
#modification to child seat anchors so that with one child seat in place, you actually have two *useable* rear passenger seats

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
stewthebassman said:
How about Xenon headlights? These make a huge difference in the boonies when it's raining and moonless.....
Yeah, if they were self-levelling and included high-beams, and if they cost less then $1000, then I would go for them.

·
OBXT Moderator, ,
2,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
TOP 5 so far:

1. In a landslide: Ditch the Crapenza's
2. Upgrade the audio: iPod, MP3 compatiblility
3. Decomission HAL (our insidious ACC)
4. Power windows/moonroof/seats auto feature and keyed.
5A. MT: STi 6-speed
5B. AT: sportshift stick should be geared like a sequential tranny.

·
OBXT Moderator, ,
2,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Did they ever give any serious consideration to going with the 6-speed? I know that much of the competition (Audi for one) has standardized this kind of MT.

What would it take?

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
sduford said:
THis car could definitely use a taller cruising gear, as previously mentioned...
That's probably the ONLY advantage of the 5AT. It's 5th gear seems to be much higher(or lower, depending on how you look at it) than the 5MT. At 80mph its only at about 3000-3200 RPM.(going from memory here, going to check for sure on the ride home)

·
Registered
16 Posts
#3 has already been addressed!! They designed a much stronger carpet hook, just go ask your dealer to replace it.
Yay! Getting my replaced tommorrow. Honestly, this is my biggest pet peeve about my new outback. Every time I get in the car, the first thing I do is pull the carpet from underneath the pedals because my hook doesn't stay attached.

Santos

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Yeah, my hook broke off the very frist time I drove the car. It is a really lame design.

The new one has a wide metallic base. I was going to have it installed at my last oil change, but apparently it takes at least 1 hour, and I didn't have time.

·
OBXT Moderator, ,
2,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Like this thread: got to page 2 in day 1:17:

·
SubaruOutback.org Founder
4,255 Posts
stewthebassman said:
How about Xenon headlights? These make a huge difference in the boonies when it's raining and moonless.....
Well you can always get bulbs for a few hundred bucks :)

The new projector lights work pretty well don't they? IMO they're brighter than many Xenon type lights.

Mudge said:
Did they ever give any serious consideration to going with the 6-speed? I know that much of the competition (Audi for one) has standardized this kind of MT.

What would it take?
They probably did but considering the cost to produce the STi tranny (about $6000 USD, no joke) it was just not cost effective. In reality, that is the driving factor to why the price of the STi Impreza is so high here in North America and abroad. Subaru can manufacture a HD 5-Speed for less than $1000 easily ;) Nonetheless if you wanted to pay the cash for the STi sixer, I'm sure it could easily be retrofitted to an OBXT.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Hero Boots said:

They probably did but considering the cost to produce the STi tranny (about $6000 USD, no joke) it was just not cost effective. In reality, that is the driving factor to why the price of the STi Impreza is so high here in North America and abroad. Subaru can manufacture a HD 5-Speed for less than $1000 easily ;) Nonetheless if you wanted to pay the cash for the STi sixer, I'm sure it could easily be retrofitted to an OBXT.
Yikes! I don't need a bullet proof transmission, just a tall cruising gear! I guess I'll pass.

They should develop a regular 6 speed based on the current 5 though...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Maybe I'm the only one that this bothers. And it is a little thing but it drives me nuts. I hate the center rear passenger seat belt hanging down from the roof! I see it ever time I look in the mirror. The first time I saw it I had no idea what it could be for since it looks so awkward.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
About this Discussion
39 Replies
13 Participants
FastSly
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing