Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have experience making a warranty claim while performing your own maintenance?

I can easily keep oil purchase receipts but I wonder if I'd get hosed if, god forbid, something significant broke and they denied my claim.

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,306 Posts
If you provide proof of the service, they should not be able to deny you.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you provide proof of the service, they should not be able to deny you.
Thank you.

But can I really provide proof of service doing my own work? I show them receipts of what I bought, and I can write down the date I did it. I can even get fancy and type it out.

But that's about it.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,624 Posts
it's so remotely unlikely, like being struck by lightning, that warranty coverage would be denied in the face of receipts for proper materials used for maintenance at the proper mileage/time, that it isn't worth worrying about.

I use an account at www.my.subaru.com to log all my maintenance and repairs. Your dealer can add stuff too.

looks kinda like this sample for our Outback (sorry if not formatted);

08/04/2009 Other

30,000 MILE SERVICE

PARTS TOTAL

MISC

52 POINT FREE INSPECTION

ONE YEAR STATE SAFETY AND EMISSIONS INSPECTION
TEAPE SUBARU OF ARLINGTON 49,013 Dealer
04/27/2010 Other

Synth oil and roki oil filter, air filter, checked/topped battery and other fluids
carl 52,384 Owner
10/15/2010 Other

synth oil & roki filter, posi quiet brake pads F&R,,adjust handbrake,replace washer pump
self 56,300 Owner
04/30/2011 Other

Intake air fltr., synth. eng oil and fltr., synth, front and rear diff. oil., topped off battery and windshld washer, cabin air filter
self 61,463 Owner
10/16/2011 Other

roki filter & synth eng. oil, all 4 KYB struts, frnt. pass. axle(EMPI)
self 64,500 Owner
10/29/2011 Other

idler and tensioner pulley bearings changed. Installed new serp. belt
self 64,600 Owner

Often, the dealer entries are vague compared to mine.

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Limited w/ EyeSight
106 Posts
Granted it is not a SOA experience, but about 20 years ago Jeep denied my brother's warranty claim when his engine bit the dust. He was able to provide receipts for the oil from an auto parts store and oil filters from the Jeep parts department and they said all that proved was that he bought the parts. He even took the dealer/Jeep to small claims court and the judge sided with Jeep.

I will not do my own required maintenance on a vehicle that is under warranty.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
I just fill in the service ponits in the book note oil type used date miles etc. Oil related failures are very rare. Warranty claim wont be denied unless the failure is oil related and all indications point to no oil in the engine when it failed. Out side of that no warranty claim wont be denied.

·
Registered
17,624 Posts
Granted it is not a SOA experience, but about 20 years ago Jeep denied my brother's warranty claim when his engine bit the dust. He was able to provide receipts for the oil from an auto parts store and oil filters from the Jeep parts department and they said all that proved was that he bought the parts. He even took the dealer/Jeep to small claims court and the judge sided with Jeep.

I will not do my own required maintenance on a vehicle that is under warranty.

how could Jeep or any dealer prove they actually swapped parts? Sure, you can ask for your old parts back, but they probably have a dozen sitting around from some other vehicles anyway. I still say, it's a vanishingly small risk not worth discussing.

there must be something else to that story. I believe there are even statutes concerning your right to have service done anywhere else or by owner.

yeah

Auto Warranties & Routine Maintenance
Related Items
How to File a Complaint

Auto Service Contracts and Warranties
Auto Repair Basics

If you own a car, you know how important it is to keep up with routine maintenance and repairs. But can a dealer refuse to honor the warranty that came with your new car if someone else does the routine maintenance or repairs?

The Federal Trade Commission (FTC), the nation's consumer protection agency, says no. In fact, it's illegal for a dealer to deny your warranty coverage simply because you had routine maintenance or repairs performed by someone else. Routine maintenance often includes oil changes, tire rotations, belt replacement, fluid checks and flushes, new brake pads, and inspections. Maintenance schedules vary by vehicle make, model and year; the best source of information about routine scheduled maintenance is your owner's manual.

and, the burden of proof is on the manufacturer;

Do I have to use the dealer for repairs and maintenance to keep my warranty in effect?

No. An independent mechanic, a retail chain shop, or even you yourself can do routine maintenance and repairs on your vehicle. In fact, the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, which is enforced by the FTC, makes it illegal for manufacturers or dealers to claim that your warranty is void or to deny coverage under your warranty simply because someone other than the dealer did the work. That said, there may be certain situations where a repair may not be covered. For example, if you or your mechanic replaced a belt improperly and your engine is damaged as a result, your manufacturer or dealer may deny responsibility for fixing the engine under the warranty. However, according to the FTC, the manufacturer or dealer must be able to demonstrate that it was the improper belt replacement — rather than some other defect — that caused the damage to your engine. The warranty would still be in effect for other parts of your car.
more; http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0138-auto-warranties-routine-maintenance

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
how could Jeep or any dealer prove they actually swapped parts? Sure, you can ask for your old parts back, but they probably have a dozen sitting around from some other vehicles anyway. I still say, it's a vanishingly small risk not worth discussing.

there must be something else to that story. I believe there are even statutes concerning your right to have service done anywhere else or by owner.

yeah

and, the burden of proof is on the manufacturer;

more; Auto Warranties & Routine Maintenance | Consumer Information
Chrysler has a horrible history of doing warranty work to start with. Exceptionally bad example of why not to do your own maint.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have always documented my service in the space provided in either the service record or in the user's manual AND attach the receipt(s) to that page. Never had a problem with warranty work; they never even asked (though this was a Chevy Blazer). The receipt will document the type of oil, filter and/or other parts you bought.

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Limited w/ EyeSight
106 Posts

That's what we thought as well. I did the oil changes on his Jeep, but when the engine went south, the dealer claimed it was gummed up from the oil not being changed. The warranty repair was denied and the judge sided with the dealer.

Paying for an oil change is cheap insurance in my mind so that something like this does not happen to me.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Chrysler has a horrible history of doing warranty work to start with. Exceptionally bad example of why not to do your own maint.
I think that's sloppy reasoning on your part.

The judge sided with the automaker due to a lack of work order receipts from a trained mechanic, and that's the money line of the story.

If you think Subaru has some higher moral standard as a manufacturer or something and would never try to avoid the potential 5K+ tab of, say, engine failure, please cite evidence.

I think you're living on Fanboy Island. Maybe I'm wrong.

There could be more to the story, it could be total bs, etc. I have no idea. Assuming its true and presented honestly I think that it's pretty clearly a financially sloppy decision to do your own work while under warranty. Save a net total of what, 200 bucks over 3 years, but more likely 80-100, while risking your entire investment?

·
Registered
17,624 Posts
well, there's also the hassle factor. Might be easier for some folks to schedule their own time.

no one could fault you for taking your car to the dealer for some work, I have. But, again, the odds of an unfair warranty denial from doing your own maintenance are tiny. And you have the law on your side.

You also could be killed or disabled in a car wreck in some of that extra driving you will be doing taking your car to and from the dealer. Driving kills more people than any other activity.

lol!

·
Registered
2013 OB 2.5 CVT
128 Posts
I had an issue with Mitsubishi and oil change. I had a garage with receipts doing oil changes which were cheaper then having the company do it. The engine started failing just within warranty milage. After calls to the main company, who at first started they would not honor the warranty because the shop did not use Mitsubishi filters, they eventually did honor the warranty. I would not put it past a company to take the short term gain of not performing the repair over repeat business. That was a long time ago, maybe things are better now?

·
Registered
17,624 Posts
no question folks were abused by the manufacturers/dealers in the past. Probably why that law was written.

the reverse happens too. some father buys junior an STI, the kid mods/tunes it, takes it out, revs it to 6K and drops the clutch trying to do a 4 wheel burnout, trashes the transmission, they put the car back to stock condition and flatbed the car into the dealership and say , "i dunno, the transmission went out on the way to Church last Sunday."

people will occasionally try to abuse other people.

·
Lord of ScoobyMods, ,
19' Impreza Sport 5 dr / 01' Forester S / 13' OB CVT / 10' Legacy 3.6R / 99 Mita MX-5
1,213 Posts
I'm on my 10th Subaru and pretty much do all my own work with a few exception's. I just log all my work in a small maintenance book I keep in each car. I've never had an issue with getting work done by Subaru when I've needed it. I have had them photo copy my book before but that's about it. I do have a good relationship with my Dealer I think that's part of it

·
Lord of ScoobyMods, ,
19' Impreza Sport 5 dr / 01' Forester S / 13' OB CVT / 10' Legacy 3.6R / 99 Mita MX-5
1,213 Posts
no question folks were abused by the manufacturers/dealers in the past. Probably why that law was written.

the reverse happens too. some father buys junior an STI, the kid mods/tunes it, takes it out, revs it to 6K and drops the clutch trying to do a 4 wheel burnout, trashes the transmission, they put the car back to stock condition and flatbed the car into the dealership and say , "i dunno, the transmission went out on the way to Church last Sunday."

people will occasionally try to abuse other people.
http://www.scoobymods.com/showthread.php/wrx-sti-axle-damage-due-4814.html?t=4814

1 - 16 of 16 Posts