Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Outback XT 5EAT Tuned by Ed @ XRT
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellas,

I just picked up my first subaru, an '05 outback xt. Now the previous owner doesn't have any record of the timing belt being done at the required 168k kms (Shame!). So I'm putting together a kit of things I need on amazon.

Currently, I have oil filter, oil, coolant, timing belt kit with water pump, upper and lower rad hoses, sparkplugs, DOHC holding tool, crank seal, two cam seals, thermostat, and new accessory belts.

The reason I'm asking, is after 186k kms, should I replace my oil pump? The oil feeds the turbo, so it makes nothing but sense to have it running at peak condition. I could swap it out for a STI turbo as well to get better output and cooling effects. Although, I have no idea what the part number is for that oil pump at the moment.

It adds $167 to my bill to buy the stock one and install it myself, do you think I need to do this? I'd love your opinions.

Thanks,

-Colin

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,306 Posts
Make sure you change the idlers/pulleys with the belt.

But, I'd say the oil pump is fine. If anything, I'd reseal it.

·
Registered
2005 Outback XT 5EAT Tuned by Ed @ XRT
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So just a new gasket on the oil pump?

Thanks for the reply!

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
Have you measured the output yet? Not worth talking about replacement unless you know you have a problem. The pumps tend to last and last, the seal is usually the only bit needing service.

It's a minor hassle removing the alternator to attach an oil pressure gauge for some tests, but only a minor one.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts