Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Outback 2.5L
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to change the oil on my week old (to me at least) 2000 OB, 2.5L. I have the OEM filter from my mechanic and new crush washer, just need to figure out the oil part now. My independent mechanic says 5w-30 should be just fine. The autoparts store looked up the oil capacity for me (4.7 quarts) and told me 10w-30 or 10w-40. Obviously I don't have my owners manual, the previous owner is mailing that to me, but I was planning on changing my oil this weekend.

So four questions.

What oil does the owners manual recommend?

What is the torque for the oil drain plug?

Anything I need to know about removing the plate under the engine? Mechanic said it's just four screws and it drops down. I'm use to taking them off a VW Passat, which is a PITA mind you.

Any precautions on using the OB on ramps? Anbody just crawl underneath, I'm not use to having that much ground clearance.

Thanks,

Sorry for the all the questions, but then that's what you guys and gals are here for, right?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Changing oil

Probably one of the easiest cars I have ever done. You do not HAVE to raise the car, I lay on a piece of cardboard and slide deep enough under the front end to get to the drain plug and hand remove the filter. Be a little gentle with the plastic screws that secure the plastic engine cover/tray. They unscrew part way, loosening the 'nut' part of the screw so the whole thing can be pulled out of the hole. You have to remove all the screws across the front tray (3 or 4, IIRC), then the whole tray slides out towards the front of the car, exposing almost the entire underside of the engine. 17mm socket or wrench on the drain plug. With a decent size drain pan, you can get under the plug and the filter at the same time, allowing LOTS of stuff to splash into the oil:12:. Sorry, cannot tell you the torque on the plu, I use German torque - 'GoodAndTight'.
Speed Safely

·
Superb Moderator, ,
MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT
6,186 Posts
I believe all late model 4cyl Subaru engines are 5w30 now. Do not, I repeat, do not forget to put the crush washer on (or take the old one off for that matter) Round side up, flat side against the bolt head. Yeah, no need for ramps either, very easy job to do. Brian

·
SubaruOutback.org Founder
2018 Outback Limited 2.5L - 105,000+ miles
5,121 Posts
5W-30 is the standard oil for the 2.5L. karasek being in Omaha and being wintertime I definately would not use any oil thicker than 5W-30. I will also say that the Ouback is the easiest car to do an oil change on that I've ever done. The oil filter and oil pan are both located at the very front right behind the front bumper. You shouldn't even have to use ramps because of the car's ground clearance and because the filter and pan are so easy to get to. Thats the way it is on the H6-3.0 and I'm sure its probably the same on the 2.5L I'd wager.

I think that this is a tribute to Subaru's engineering and the fact that they've made it easy for the consumer to do maintainence on their own vehicle. Kudos to Subaru :D

·
Registered
MY99 3rd Gen Outback GX, 2004 Lexus RX330 Sport Luxury
242 Posts
As posted in the Favourite Engine Oil thread, the factory recommended viscosity according to the owner's manual is 5w30, 10w30, or 10w40 under severe conditions (even as high as 25w50 if towing)

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,553 Posts
Yeah - they're all right, for you northern types I think 5-30 is the way to go, I plan to stay with 10-30 but its Mobil1, in Texas.
Um - I've read that folks make an effort to 'charge' or pre-fill the filter with oil before spinning it on. Pur some in, while that is soaking take off the panel and begin draining, pour some more oil in new filter, then proceed. Couldn't hurt and if I changed my own I probably would try it.
Also, some folks will use a bottle of Techron in the fuel at every oil change. I use it once a year. Also, while you're under there, a good time to just look around, split CV boots, coolant leaks, strut oil leaks, crumbly bushings, etc.
fyi

·
Registered
194 Posts
Although you can change the oil without ramps, I always use ramps. Good time to check things like CV boots while the oil drains.

·
Registered
2004 Outback Wagon
15 Posts
I am new to owning subaru's. I just purchased a new 2004 Outback wagon, and always change my own oil. I have a stupid question, what is a crush washer. Is it the washer on the bolt for the oil pan? Why does it have to be replaced every oil change? Where do you get them?

A friend told me that you shouldn't use aftermarket filters because they leak? Any problems that I should be aware of or just stick with the real deal?

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,553 Posts
If you can reuse the washer, witout over-torqueing the bolt, and get a drip free seal then you don't need a new washer. If you get an OEM filter, just buy a handful while you're there.
I spring for the Purolater 'PureOne' filter(from Pep Boys) though some folks say it is overkill with its anti-drainback valve cause the filter is straight down on our engines. I heard they make the Subaru filter too. I think 'some' after market filters do not engage enough threads on 'some' soob engines. Probably not an issue with an '04.

·
Registered
outback wagon 2003
8 Posts
a newbie question, where do i buy those OEM filters? and how much?
since you guys said it is so easy to change oil, i am thinking to DIY too. :D

·
Registered
194 Posts
OEM filters is the ones you get from your Subaru dealer. Not sure how much they cost.

·
Superb Moderator, ,
MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT
6,186 Posts
Carl, you should always use a new crush washer every time you pull that drain plug. I have talked to many of the Subaru techs at the dealer and they told me horror stories about that $.75 washer people either didn't put on or reused for every oil change by themselves. It is cheap insurance in my book. The dealer sells the crush washers in six packs.
And as for oil filters, by OEM. The OEM ones are specific for your engine. The bypass pressure is not always the same on Fram and others that aren't specifically made for your engine. I just bought a case (12) online from Subaruwrxparts.com for around $60 including the crush washers. If you are new to being a weekend mechanic, changing your Suby oil is a great way to start learning, very simple job. Brian

·
5,121 Posts
As far as oil fiters go, I always go with Mobil 1, Bosch, or STP. NEVER buy a FRAM, I have seen so many oil filter tests where they just plain fall apart and get all sorts of crap in your engine. I'd say that AMSOIL filters are probably the best you can buy, period. Although they can be expensive and harder to attain than the three I listed above. For me Mobil 1 filters are the best brand you can buy seeing as how they are sold at just about everyone auto parts store (Autozone, Pep Boys, O'Reillys, etc). If you don't want to dish out the cash for the Mobil 1 a Bosch or STP filter is a decent substitute.

·
Registered
13 Posts
oil filter

I saw a "high capacity" filter at walmart the other day, designed for synthetic oil that only gets changed every 10,000 miles or so. I think it was a Fram product, said it was meant to be used for 7k miles. Looks like a good idea on paper but I haven't seen any other companies making a similar filter. Do you guys with synthetic just change the filter every 3-5k but run the oil longer or what? I've been changing everything every 5-6k, but that's probably a waste of synthetic with some good life left in it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
subaruwrx.com

just took a look at the website mentioned a few posts back...are the oil filters the same as the outbacks (2003)? Site is specific to WRX but I don't know if the engines are that different or not.

·
5,121 Posts
Teasdam I wouldn't put too much faith in some gimmicky filter. I've never went longer than 5k miles without an oil change and I don't care what anyone tells you or tries to sell you on, but its in the best interest of your car. 3-5k changes are the standard nowadays and thats what I'll stick with. AMSOIL advertises a 25k oil but I wouldn't leave any kind of oil, no matter how good it may be, in my car for that long.

I think that the filters for the 2.5L and 3.0L may be the same, don't take my word for it though. Go and check for yourself, but I think that they are the same.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Even though AMSOIL have high mileage oils, they recommend that the oil filter be changed every 5000 miles.

·
Registered
outback wagon 2003
8 Posts
how about the extended warranty from Subaruwrxparts.com? $611 for 5 yr/60k miles, much better than what offered by the local dealer. is there any catch?

·
Superb Moderator, ,
MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT
6,186 Posts
No catch I don't think. They are an authorized dealer. Exeter Subaru I believe. I have ordered much stuff from them with great results. Brian

·
Lord of ScoobyMods, ,
19' Impreza Sport 5 dr / 01' Forester S / 13' OB CVT / 10' Legacy 3.6R / 99 Mita MX-5
1,213 Posts
Some info here:

http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=171

I think that the filters for the 2.5L and 3.0L may be the same, don't take my word for it though. Go and check for yourself, but I think that they are the same
No they are not the same they have different part numbers,

From my link above:

For H-6 motor they have an oil filter PN different than the H-4's. Everything about the filter is the same size wise, the bypass still opens up at 23 psi, but the filter material surface area for the H-6 is 201 sq/in VS 141 sq/in. for the H-4 filter.

PN for the H-4 = 15208AA060

PN for the H-4 = 15208AA080 (Turbo)

PN for the H-6 = SOA5165109

1 - 20 of 29 Posts