Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 2000 Outback, and my headgasket is blown. My oil looks like light milk chocolate. It's not overheating, or anything yet. Im needing to buy time, so my question is if I change the oil, and get at least some of that nastiness out, could that potentially buy me time?

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
I've got a 2000 Outback, and my headgasket is blown. My oil looks like light milk chocolate. It's not overheating, or anything yet. Im needing to buy time, so my question is if I change the oil, and get at least some of that nastiness out, could that potentially buy me time?
No. Unless of course you do not care if you destroy the engine.

Reactions: dougmac

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,194 Posts
yeah, change the oil,

and put on a new OEM rad cap if you have not already done so. right away, you are making too much cooling system pressure and the cap is the releif valve. aftermarkets and old wore out OEMs can fail and not relieve the pressure at the right rate. causing the condition you have.

and trade that engine for another,...don't bother fixing it.
EJ251 / EJ252 of 2000-2004. (a drop in would be a legacy / legacy outback,

auto or manual that matches your car. or you have to change intakes. 2003-2004 have EGR which means you have to block off the inlet hole.

what not to get: a 2004 EJ259 (the weird cal spec one of that year , sold in the clean air states. ).

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
yeah, change the oil,

and put on a new OEM rad cap if you have not already done so. right away, you are making too much cooling system pressure and the cap is the releif valve. aftermarkets and old wore out OEMs can fail and not relieve the pressure at the right rate. causing the condition you have.

and trade that engine for another,...don't bother fixing it. EJ251 / EJ252 of 2000-2004. (a drop in would be a legacy / legacy outback,

auto or manual that matches your car. or you have to change intakes. 2003-2004 have EGR which means you have to block off the inlet hole.

what not to get: a 2004 EJ259 (the weird cal spec one of that year , sold in the clean air states. ).
A new radiator cap is not going to make a difference. Pressure is going to relieve itself at the path of least resistance. A blown head gasket provides far less resistance than the radiator cap. Fresh oil will be contaminated in short order.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,194 Posts

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
6,119 Posts
What @dougmac said. ^^^^^^

I had a Ford V6 2.8l Ranger that had a very slow coolant leak - which I nursed rather than fix right away. We're talking a quart every few thousand miles, IIRC. I thought it was leaking externally or into the combustion chamber, where this rate might be tolerable.

It wasn't. One night the oil pressure light came on, and I looked - oil was a milky fluid, crankcase was all foamed up. Oil pickup had started sucking air, which illuminated the oil pressure warning light.

Damage had been done long ago to the bottom end crankcase main bearings. Had 100k+ miles, and it wasn't worth the cost of rebuilding, so I just sold it as-is to the mechanic, who was willing to put in his own tme to rebuild it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Water destroys bearings. Changing the oil may buy you a few days or even a week but the bottom line is, by driving the vehicle with a known blown head gasket that’s mixing coolant and oil is asking for trouble. Not to mention...water and oil obviously don’t mix so there will always be some sort of moisture inside the crankcase even if you change the oil which you don’t want. The correct repair is to either park it and rebuild or swap with a known good used engine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts