Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/nav/eye
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is there any info out there on this? does it take the torx bit t-70?

·
Registered
01 Outback H6 VDC, 97 GT wgn w/ ej22, 98 OBW w/ej22
1,401 Posts
not sure about your year, but on 90 - 04 cars it is a square 13mm? plug, 1/2 inch breaker bar fits.

but here is the tip you need, they can be a real pain to loosen. most have not been done since the factory.

so loosen the fill plug FIRST. if you cannot get it loose, DO NOT loosen the drain plug. you could end up with no fluid and no way to fill it.

·
Registered
'13 Outback 3.6R Limited
353 Posts
I loosened mine with a 1/2 inch breaker bar. When re-installing I apply thread gasket to the plug's threads. Good luck!

·
Registered
2012 limited, white, no moonroof or nav
1,698 Posts
is there any info out there on this? does it take the torx bit t-70?
The CVT front diff drain takes a torx-70. You can get one cheap at Autozone.
The fill is unconventional as well......The fluid is added through a tube on the passenger side, that has a vent tube that is removed to fill. A plug is removed from the bottom, which has a standpipe above it.....You fill it until it flows from the bottom of the standpipe, then replace the plug in the bottom of the standpipe. Not as intuitive as most diffs.

I should read more carefully......The rear diff uses a conventional square drive (For both drain and fill), and is done in the conventional fashion.

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,388 Posts
Pump is needed.

·
Registered
2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/nav/eye
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thx everybody for your input. would love to know the answer to post #6 as well.

·
Registered
2012 limited, white, no moonroof or nav
1,698 Posts
I just used the bottle the Mobil 1 75/90 came in......Plenty of room, and the hole is about an inch in diameter, so it is a piece of cake.

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,388 Posts
thx everybody for your input. would love to know the answer to post #6 as well.
I answered that in post #7.

Pump makes it much easier, can be done without.

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,868 Posts

got mine from Amazon

I also used my floor jack positoned to push up on my 1/2" breaker bar to loosen the plugs. Fill plug first as mentioned.

that fluid stinks, don't take any into the house on your clothes.

I filled with Redline Lightweught Shockproof but there are many good fluids including Subaru Extra-S. You can get it in quarts from Fred Beans. Some folks have been able to take clean containers to the dealer for filling from the 20 litre bucket.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts