Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Premium
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am changing my rear differential fluid for the first time later this week.

I know that I need 75W/90 for my replacement fluid, but I'm not sure what I need to torque the drain and fill plugs to after I replace the oil. Please reach out if you know the answer, I can't find it anywhere.

Thank you!!

·
Registered
2020 Outback Premier 2.5i
1,212 Posts
If you don't get an answer specific to your year, I have the 2019 manual: 50Nm or 36.9 ft lbs. It also says to replace the gasket, so might be best to look into that for your year.

EDIT - probably got mine from here

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Premium
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you don't get an answer specific to your year, I have the 2019 manual: 50Nm or 36.9 ft lbs. It also says to replace the gasket, so might be best to look into that for your year.

EDIT - probably got mine from here

Thank you for responding, I really appreciate it!
I have a manual, but I can't find anything about torque in it.
I know that 36.9 ft lbs is correct for the 2015 Forester as well... Do you think that probably means that 32.9 ft lbs is correct for my car as well?

I was planning on replacing both the gaskets and the plugs because the plugs are looking super rusty.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Premier 2.5i
1,212 Posts
You mean 36.9? In the absence of proof I would hazard a guess that from 2015 to 2019 it would be the same.
If you have the upper/lower plug style (fill/drain), I'd recommend ALWAYS removing the fill first. The last thing you want to have happen is to drain the oil out of a housing, only to find you can't get the fill plug out.

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Premium
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You mean 36.9? In the absence of proof I would hazard a guess that from 2015 to 2019 it would be the same.
If you have the upper/lower plug style (fill/drain), I'd recommend ALWAYS removing the fill first. The last thing you want to have happen is to drain the oil out of a housing, only to find you can't get the fill plug out.
Yes, 36.9. Whoops. Ok, thank you for your help!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts