Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Subaru Outback 2017 Premier 3.6
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there.

I will be a new owner of a 2018 outback limited 3.6 soon with Eyesight.

Dealer told me we cannot change tire for 17 inchesbecause it will interfere with Eyesight system.
Wich size I should chooze if I change rim size 18 to 17 for winter ? (if its possible?)

thanks

·
Premium Member
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,789 Posts
Dealer told me we cannot change tire for 17 inchesbecause it will interfere with Eyesight system.
Your dealer is wrong, and EyeSight has nothing to do with it. 17-inch wheels and tires are standard on Outbacks in Base and Premium trims, which also include EyeSight. You just need to be sure to use the same size tires as original equipment (225/65R17 102H).

Alternatively, even if fitting different sized tires, you simply need to choose a tire with the same "tire revolutions per mile" specification (~730 revs per mile for all Gen 5 Outbacks). I strongly urge you to stay with OE-sized tires, though.

A good tire shop should be able to help you.

·
Premium Member
2019 Outback 3.6R Limited Magnelite Grey and loaded; '98 Legacy Outback Limited MT-53,150 miles!
198 Posts
In buying my 2019 Limited I requested and received the wheel size be 17" instead of the Limited/Touring/other(?) 18" delivered size. I asked that because I had a set of snow tires mounted on 17" wheels that I brought forward from another car. The change was done as part of the great customer service at that dealership without anyone even asking me why I'd want to do such a thing.

The car is fine on 17" gear; eyesight works as it should, and there are no fault codes or warning lights. It might effect the speedometer but I haven't been able to tell.

So whoever it was who told you that incorrect information needs a spanking.

·
Registered
2016 OB 2.5i Limited
91 Posts
Shouldn't affect it at all, even if you go up in tire size (overall diameter / revolutions per mile)

I went as big as you can fit on mine, and it hasn't caused any issues with the eyesight. Functions and behaves no differently than with the original wheels/tires.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
4,972 Posts
Shouldn't affect it at all, even if you go up in tire size (overall diameter / revolutions per mile)

I went as big as you can fit on mine, and it hasn't caused any issues with the eyesight. Functions and behaves no differently than with the original wheels/tires.
*that you know of.

·
Registered
2019, Subaru Outback Limited 3.6R
1,764 Posts
I am driving on 17's right now w/ BFG 245/65R17 as I got rid of my 18's immediately along with the crappy Bridgestones so...

·
Registered
2021 Outback Touring, 2015 Outback (sold), 2019 Toyota LC 200, 1998 Toyota LC 100, 1987 Toyota FJ60
774 Posts
some dealers....?

·
Registered
2019 Outback
765 Posts
Some models come with 17” wheels.

The concern comes from a letter that went out that said they won’t diagnose or warranty eyesight issues if wheels/tires are changed or it’s lifted. The person you spoke to got their info mixed up. The letter did not state it will effect Eyesight. They are just covering their butt. There’s lots of hacks out there that they don’t want to be liable for.

·
Registered
2015 Subaru Outback 3.6 R with Eyesight/Nav/Moonroof
88 Posts
I was thinking of changing wheel size on my 2015 3.6R because we find that the ride is too stiff. I attribute that to having a smaller sidewall height. If the wheel is smaller, than to get the same rev per mile, I would need to use a tire with larger side wall, which should provide more cushioned ride. Am I correct here? Mine being 2015, it is clearly out of warranty as far as eyesight is concerned.

·
Registered
2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/ Eyesight
340 Posts
Changing to 17s should soften the ride like you said. I'd request the stock size and look for a touring tire. A/T tired usually have stiffer sidewalls and you may have the same feel. Look for the "Tires and wheels that fit" thread for reviews.

·
Premium Member
2018 2.5i Limited; "Wanderlust II"
601 Posts
Bulls#!†... I went from 18" wheels to 17" wheels on Wanderlust six months ago, and the Eyesight system works like a charm.

I'd not worry as much about Eyesight as I'd worry about finding a new dealer, if I were you.

Reactions: Dantrax
1 - 13 of 13 Posts