Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2018 Outback 3.6R Touring.

Is there any way to do this? I couldn't find it anywhere in the settings menu, nor in the manual.

My previous car (2017 Jeep) allowed you to do this quite easily in the Settings menu, and it changed the temperature settings on both the HUD and the main display, but the option doesn't seem to be present anywhere in the Outback.

I live in the USA, but wasn't born here, and my brain still works in Celcius. I've begrudgingly accepted using Miles and MPH, but Fahrenheit is just the worst.

Am I SOL without having a dealer intervene for $$$ ?

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,140 Posts
I have a 2018 Outback 3.6R Touring.

Is there any way to do this? I couldn't find it anywhere in the settings menu, nor in the manual.

My previous car (2017 Jeep) allowed you to do this quite easily in the Settings menu, and it changed the temperature settings on both the HUD and the main display, but the option doesn't seem to be present anywhere in the Outback.

I live in the USA, but wasn't born here, and my brain still works in Celcius. I've begrudgingly accepted using Miles and MPH, but Fahrenheit is just the worst.

Am I SOL without having a dealer intervene for $$$ ?
Yeah.

My tuner needs everything in metric and temperature is the toughest one to brain regulate.

My laptop logs in Celsius but my live gauges are all in Fahrenheit.

·
Premium Member
2018 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited with EyeSight, Navigation, High Beam Assist, Reverse Auto Braking, LED Headlights, Steering Responsive Headlights, and Starlink previous 2015 Outback 2.5i Limited
44 Posts
Nope there is no way to do it not even the dealer can do it. I tried I asked here about doing it on my 2015 and now on my 2018. The only way it would possible is to find a non US software and flash it. I didn't wanna do it. I don't know if you can even find it. The dealer had no clue what I wanted them to do. But of you find a way PLEASE let us know. That Fahrenheit is killing me.

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/138-gen-5-2015-present/192330-c-temperature-f-c-possible.html

·
Registered
1999 30th Anniversary Legacy Outback DOHC 2.5L 4EAT, 2008 Impreza WRX 2.5L 5MT, 2008 Impreza Wagon 2.5L 4EAT
1,224 Posts
Take it to a Subaru dealer in Canada?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. This is deeply unfortunate. The CA / US border is a little far for me to drive to from California. I'll try my luck at the dealer when I go in for my next service appointment, to see if there is anything that can be done.

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
6,308 Posts
In theory, it's just a little software hack.

In practice, no one I know of has done this, as it's too little a thing to bother with. So the only other option is to do as @Vallyo suggests and flash a non-US SW version in. This will certainly have other consequences, however.

Or, you could train your brain to think in both systems. Try it, it's not too hard.

·
Registered
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,150 Posts
I'll try my luck at the dealer when I go in for my next service appointment, to see if there is anything that can be done.
You yourself (2018 Legacy/outback Owners Manual, page 3-41) can switch all display units (temperature, distance, speed, fuel economy, etc.) between English and SI (metric) units, but not temperature alone.

May I suggest for temperature you memorize a few key values, and interpolate between them:

-20 C = -4 F
-10 C = 14 F
0 C = 32 F
10 C = 50 F
20 C = 68 F
30 C = 86 F
40 C = 104 F
90 C = 194 F
100C = 212 F

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Page 3-41 is here: ibb.co/ecR2QR

Nowhere does it mention a function where you can switch all units from imperial to metric. Also, that part of the manual only refers to the heads-up display. There's no mention of changing anything in the HVAC module.

Thanks, I can do the conversions in my head, and can "think" in both systems for most common temperatures :). I just feel like I'm getting dumber by the day, every time these archaic units are flashed in front of my face in lights!

·
Registered
'15 Outback 2.5i Premium
2,511 Posts
You yourself (2018 Legacy/outback Owners Manual, page 3-41) can switch all display units (temperature, distance, speed, fuel economy, etc.) between English and SI (metric) units, but not temperature alone.

May I suggest for temperature you memorize a few key values, and interpolate between them:

-20 C = -4 F
-10 C = 14 F
0 C = 32 F
10 C = 50 F
20 C = 68 F
30 C = 86 F
40 C = 104 F
90 C = 194 F
100C = 212 F
Thirty is warm
Twenty is nice
Ten is cool
And zero, ice.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi, did you found a solution at the end ?
It's possible both for 2015-2017 BS and 2018-2019.

For 2018-2019 - just buy used climate panel from Canada (part number is 72311AL33A). When you replace your 72311AL32A with canadian version, both climate and outside temperature will be displayed in Celsius. Its 100% working solution, I have already replaced climate panel on few USA cars.

For 2015-2017 - it's not so easy as for 2018-2019, but it's possible. Metrics setting comes from CAN-bus. I created custom solution for it by adding extra PCB board as "CAN bridge". It's installed on a lot of cars now. But it's outside USA.. And I'm not sure that I can send these devices to USA from my country.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Could this be a "dealer only" setting?

·
Registered
2018 White Outback Touring 2.5i
671 Posts
There are three buttons at 8 o'clock position of your steering wheel. When you press the top or bottom button they cycle through speed, tire pressure, compass, mileage etc. and finally settings. When you get to settings hold the center button. You'll see nine selections. Look in there. It's been a while since I used it so I don't remember but it's in there. I had to change from Celsius back to Fahrenheit so I know it's there. There's a tire pressure selection as well psi to kpa.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2019 Outback owner here.

It is simply insane that I can’t change Climate Control panel from F to C. :mad:

WTF Subaru?!

·
Registered
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,150 Posts
It is simply insane that I can’t change Climate Control panel from F to C.
How much extra would you be willing to pay to have that option?
How much extra would you be willing to pay for everyone to have that option, whether they want it or not?

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Premium / 2020 2.5i Premium
2,436 Posts
I don't think it would cost that much.

But here is another solution: take the temp in Fahrenheit. Subtract 32. Then divide the result by two. Now add 10%. Done.
Example: 72F:
72-32=40.
40/2=20
20+10%=22.

So ... 72F=22C. Pretty simple. 🙂👍🏻

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
6,308 Posts
The one done in rhyme is easier to memorize:

Forty is scorchy
Thirty is hot
Twenty is nice
Ten is chilly
And zero is ice.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts