Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to perform a drain and fill on my 05 Outback LL Bean. It looks like I need an allen wrench to remove the tranny bolt.

Does anyone know what size allen wrench to remove the tranny bolt?

·
Premium Member
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
18,105 Posts
sure it isn't a T-70 Torx ?

that's what I needed on my 06 WRX. got it at Amazon, or maybe Autozone, less than $6 or $7 IIRC.

·
Registered
Car: 2008 Tribeca, 2010 LGT, Sold: 2005 XT Limited
2,926 Posts
Let me suggest an alternate way to get a full flush DIY. You should still do a drain and refill to start off, but then use the existing pump in the transmission to pump the fluid out of the transmission, through the cooler and out a line you take off.

Directions are here: DIY 5EAT ATF Flush - Subaru Legacy Forums

You will have to modify the directions for the H6, but I bet its very close to the same.

This is the best way to do this! I know it seems like a bad idea to start your car with the transmission line unhooked, but this really does work well!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its not the T-70 torx, cuz I have that tool as well. I will look into "tdelker" idea of flushing the tranny.

·
Registered
1993 Legacy LSi with still functioning Air Suspension, 1999 Outback 2.5L 5MT lab Rat
191 Posts
The transmission requires an 8mm Allen to drain, the Torx T70 is for the front differential to drain. You also notice that you'll likely need a 10mm allen to change the rear differential as well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did changed the differential fluids last year, just haven't done the tranny yet. Thanks for the info, subytechjoe....later

1 - 6 of 6 Posts