Votes: 1 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched the web for info on changing the starter on my car. Maybe because it was so easy there isn't much said about it but I thought I'd post a note about the fact that it's easy, took less than 30 minutes, and cost about $100 through www.autozone.com.

To change it, you simply locate it, which wasn't easy until I had the part to see where it was (I'm a novice). It was on the driver side rear part of the engine block, basically directly above the axel. I worked on it a little hot and have scars to prove it. I'd wait until it's cold.

First disconnect the ground from your battery. This saves a lot of heartache. Be sure to do it.

Next take the boot off the electrical connection and screw off the nut holding it on (13mm). The second electric connection snaps off. Once you've done that you can unbolt the thing.

It was a little tough to get the socket wrench in the space but there is one bolt and one nut/split washer holding it on. I needed a 14mm, and 19mm socket for the job. The top bolt was a 14mm, it was easy to see. The lower one is a nut and was not as easy to see or remove (19mm, a bunch of 1/8 turns of the wrench).

I found it was easiest to pull the unit off and lower it close to the floor and drop it rather than get it through the tubing above it.

You can put the other one in from above and do the reverse of the instructions.

I hope this helps future novice mechanics. I'm telling you it's not worth the $400 they quoted me. Get the reman part from autozone and do it yourself.

Jake

·
Registered
18 horizontally opposed cylinders of fury
359 Posts
Jakester said:
First disconnect the ground from your battery. This saves a lot of heartache. Be sure to do it.
good advice when working on a starter on any car- you're usually working in a space you can't see clearly, & you'll be surprised how nicely your metal wrench conducts a large flow of current when it touches the terminals while you're ratcheting... often accompanied by sparks & smoke, wheee!! ;)

·
Tokyo's between my toes
2001 Wintergreen Outback 5MT
6,684 Posts
Yes, and as many people have told me, the trick is to disconnect the negative, not the positive, because it doesn't matter if your wrench touches metal if it's already on the ground lead.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts