1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Subaru Outback XT MT / 2012 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2005 OBXT MT

I had some common leaks:
Motor oil leak at the rubber ring seal above the sandwich heat exchanger aboive the oil filter - fixed
New o-ring seal on hose connector on top of the pump -- leak fixed
New banjo bolt seal on the other PS hose connector lower on the pump - leak fixed
Fuel leak at the top of the fuel pump - top plate cracked - fixed
Coolant leak at the 90 degree bend short hose over the turbo

Now I'm getting oil burning smell inside the car. I have what looks to be power steering fluid (reddish) leaking and leaving drops on the bottom of the engine plastic front cover, one drop on the bottom of the oil filter and fresh fluid just aft of the front engine cover on the aluminum engine block. I felt underneath the power steering pump, and while its cruddy black, it's not freshly wet like the botttom of the engine.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
2008 Outback Wagon LL Bean Limited 2.5i
838 Posts
2005 OBXT MT

I had some common leaks:
Motor oil leak at the rubber ring seal above the sandwich heat exchanger aboive the oil filter - fixed
New o-ring seal on hose connector on top of the pump -- leak fixed
New banjo bolt seal on the other PS hose connector lower on the pump - leak fixed
Fuel leak at the top of the fuel pump - top plate cracked - fixed
Coolant leak at the 90 degree bend short hose over the turbo

Now I'm getting oil burning smell inside the car. I have what looks to be power steering fluid (reddish) leaking and leaving drops on the bottom of the engine plastic front cover, one drop on the bottom of the oil filter and fresh fluid just aft of the front engine cover on the aluminum engine block. I felt underneath the power steering pump, and while its cruddy black, it's not freshly wet like the botttom of the engine.

Any ideas?
I suspect the O rings in the power steering pump are going bad. This happened in my 2006 Limited and is now starting to happen in the 2008 LLB Limited.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, that's what I was thinking might be the only thing left to look at. I usually rebuild my own pumps.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I ended up buying a pump seal kit from RA. They didn't list one specifically for my XT, so I just bought the kit for the 2.5i. The kit appeared to contain all of the seals that I needed. I need to drive the car for a bit before I declare victory.

·
Registered
2008 Outback 2.5
954 Posts
I don't know if the 08 XT uses the same pump as the 08 NA, but for the 08 NA, there is no rebuild kit. You might be able to use another year drop in replacement, then next time rebuild it. BTW Rockauto lists the Cardone 965196 for the 08 NA, 08 XT and the 05, 06, 07 and 08 NA so I have a feeling they are all compatible. Strange that the 08 OEM PS pump doesn't have a rebuild kit anywhere AFAIK.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I'm calling it fixed. Bone dry system now. The pump reseal kit was easy to install BTW. Much less money than buying a replacement.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts