Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where is the best place to place the chassis stand?

This is on a 3rd gen OB. The jacking point according to the owners manual is behind the front wheel, or in front of the rear wheel. That area looks like body, I don't think it is suitable for a chassis stand.

I usually use that only for swapping a flat, when I work under my car I use a 6 ton bottle jack on the jacking plate at the front. Lifts the vehicle no problem. Stabilizing it on the longitudinal chassis members.

Any other places that might work?

·
Registered
2006 Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT, 1984 Porsche 944
276 Posts
Here's what I do:

To jack the car, I use my floor jack where the factory emergency jack "plugs in". I place a piece of rubber mat on top of the jack puck so it doesn't bend the metal or scratch the paint.

I then place the jack stand at the frame rail (located 6 or so inches towards the center of the car from where you place the factory jack). I place rubber mating here too, but I've still managed to rub off some of the undercoating.

Repeat for the other side and you now have the front safely in the air. I've never needed to raise the rear (besides rotating tires), so I can't comment on what to do there.

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,664 Posts
if it's like our 03, you probably should use those pinch welds where the emergency jack would normally be used. I'm sure there are other places that would be OK - maybe someone else could guide you.

i hope you're not under the car with ONLY a bottle or single jack for support. Not safe.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nope only when it is on stands. That is why I have not changed my sway bar bushes yet.

I am also thinking that thin piece of body, but for that I have to mod my chassis stands. They should have been called axle stands, designed for solid axle vehicles I guess

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
16,285 Posts
A good floor jack placed on the unibody will lift it just fine. Jack stands can then be placed in the emergency jack location as it has a stronger weld just for jacking the car up.

·
Registered
01 Outback LL Bean
2,454 Posts
I always place my jack stands at the location of the emergency jack location.

I jack the car up immediately to the side of that location.

I use a hockey puck with a wedge cut in it with my jack to even out the pressure.

I miss my body on frame GM vehicle.

·
Registered
Car: 2008 Tribeca, 2010 LGT, Sold: 2005 XT Limited
2,926 Posts
I need to get some hockey pucks. I hate not being able to get a solid stand under there.

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,664 Posts
A good floor jack placed on the unibody will lift it just fine. Jack stands can then be placed in the emergency jack location as it has a stronger weld just for jacking the car up.

while we're on the subject, is it OK to lift the rear at the diff? I usually use a piece of wood on my jack to try to keep the metal rim off the diff case/distribute some of the force.

·
Registered
19,383 Posts
while we're on the subject, is it OK to lift the rear at the diff? I usually use a piece of wood on my jack to try to keep the metal rim off the diff case/distribute some of the force.
Good question. The shop manual says the differential can be used, and I asked about this here years ago. While the case might be able to do it, I don't like the idea of stressing the two rear mounting bushings. I've tried it only once and noticed that they do distort noticeably. I'd rather use another point, including the prescribed scissors jack rocker panel locations.

But I'm open to others' views and experiences.

A good floor jack placed on the unibody
Does "unibody" in this case mean the square "frame" member welded to the floor pan, or something else. I like the idea of being able to raise the car in one place and then placing the jack stands at the rocker panel lift points.

Is there access to the frame at the rear? Need to have a closer look . . .

·
Registered
288 Posts
When doing the rear, I place the jack not on the diff, but the support plate just ahead of it. No stress (it's bolted to the frame) and no distortions.

O,

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
16,285 Posts
Good question. The shop manual says the differential can be used, and I asked about this here years ago. While the case might be able to do it, I don't like the idea of stressing the two rear mounting bushings. I've tried it only once and noticed that they do distort noticeably. I'd rather use another point, including the prescribed scissors jack rocker panel locations.

But I'm open to others' views and experiences.

Does "unibody" in this case mean the square "frame" member welded to the floor pan, or something else. I like the idea of being able to raise the car in one place and then placing the jack stands at the rocker panel lift points.

Is there access to the frame at the rear? Need to have a closer look . . .
Yes on the square frame.

On the rear, it can be lifted by the differential but the wheels will not come off the ground until it is lifted high, almost to the extent of most smaller jacks. Wheel hang. A floor jack placed under the rear shock on older cars and on the lift point at the drip rail on newer will lift it fine, but again, the wheel hang will be present from the drip rail.

I wouldn't suggest using the radius arm to jack it up. You will risk the car sliding off the jack as you go up. Do not try to lift it from the rear control arms or lateral links. They are not designed to support weight. I see a lot of bent arms due to tow drivers hooking their chains to them.

As long as you jack at a strong, none pivoting part, and support it at the drip rails or unirail (square frame) with jack stands, its all good.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts