Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5 Premium
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First I want to say that my wife and I love our Outback. It's our first Subaru and overall we couldn't be happier. But......

I just had the 7500 mile service done and since then I've noticed a faint chattering noise coming from the front of the car. It will do it from about 40mph on but it's noisiest above 60. You have to be on a flat, smooth road and barely apply pressure on the accelerator. Coasting or harder acceleration will make it stop. Setting the cruise and letting it maintain your speed is the best way to duplicate the problem.

I've been back to my service dept but the manager couldn't seem to hear it, go figure. FYI, I'm 85 miles from my dealer so if I can pinpoint the problem it would really help! We put the car on the rack and neither of us could spot any obvious problems. I'm fairly mechanically inclined so this one has me puzzled. Axle? CVT issue? Help!

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Limited Ice Silver Metalic
321 Posts
Possibly a ignition problem
Is your dealer the only one in your area?
You don't have to take your OB to the dealer you bought it from for service.
I buy from a dealer with the lowest price but take it to a service department I know has long time Subaru techs.

As you didn't have this problem before you had your 7500 mile service it would seem your service department did something that caused this.

I would think your service department would and do the check, check, check thing to see if something is not right (Wire disconnected, check the ignition timing to verify the ECM is working properly, etc)

Might look under the hood to see if some wire got pulled loose (causing ignition timing problems)

My OB does not have this symptom so I am of the opinion there is something not right.

PS: Your tires were probably rotated. Check that they were torqued properly and if they are you might have the ones now on the front checked for balance.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts