Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time poster here. Took my '03 outback l.l. bean in to the dealer to have a few things checked out. Two issues I'm dealing with is wheel shake when accelerating (approx 30-50mph) and a "chatter" or jitter sound in the left rear when cornering hard to the right while accelerating. Dealer said I needed all new struts as they are leaking (I know I need new rear struts as they are squeaking but didn't know I needed front ones), and said that my rear front lateral link assembly ("lateral links" - part # 20250AE06A) was worn as well as the front sway bar linkage which was causing the rear noise when cornering/accelerating. Does this sound accurate? Could this likely be causing the noise and wheel shake? Thanks in advance for reading.

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,151 Posts
Yep

The rear, forward lateral link takes a huge load especially coring on bumps as well as anything sway bar related. Due to your age ... definitely.

·
Master Caster
16,151 Posts
Thanks so much. Recommend new sway bar while I'm at it?
Its sounds like they said sway bar end links and I would do the body side bushings. Your sway bar is fine, it's a lifetime part unless it rusts out, or rust decreases its diameter at the bushing. Or rust decays the mounting hole for the endlink.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks so much. Recommend new sway bar while I'm at it?
Its sounds like they said sway bar end links and I would do the body side bushings. Your sway bar is fine, it's a lifetime part unless it rusts out, or rust decreases its diameter at the bushing. Or rust decays the mounting hole for the endlink.
Great info thanks for that. Recommend a decent set of quick struts? I see everyone recommending kyb but these don't look like quick struts, have to buy everything ala carte and somewhat expensive for front and rear plus mounts and boots.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Regarding the sway bar end links - do I need to purchase/install two - one for each end? Also with regards to the body side bushings, is this the stabilizer bar bushing, or control arm bushing? Thanks again for the help!

·
Master Caster
16,151 Posts
Disregard strut question. I see there's no good option aside from KYB.
Not really.

I was going to comment again. I think the quick struts are an OK solution if you have no other choice.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not really.

I was going to comment again. I think the quick struts are an OK solution if you have no other choice.
Did you see my other question about bushings and end links? I tried to DM you but site wouldn't let me, guess I'm too new.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,491 Posts
Disregard strut question. I see there's no good option aside from KYB.
KYB are great,.. (what subaru relabels).

I would buy off amazon or rockauto, and get KYB mount kits only if needed locally on install day.

Reactions: 1 Lucky Texan

·
Master Caster
16,151 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
One last question - are all of these "DIY" repairs? I like to do my own work when possible but also like to know what's best left to the pro's. I can probably handle the struts myself - will just need to take them to a shop to have springs changed after removing the old ones. But what about the other stuff?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts