Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I would share a picture of the bull bar I made for my 01 OBW. It is actually a ATV rear bumper that is mounted upside down. I made a bracket that goes through the lower grille opening and attaches to the front skid plate mount. The part number for the bumper is 0436-330 and it is for an arctic cat ATV. I am not planning on pushing around dumpsters, I just needed a place to mount some lights.

Attachments

·
Registered
2008 Subaru Outback 2.5XT, DDM HID 5000K, K&N, Yokohama Avid TRZ, Curt Hitch, Subaru All Weather Mats, Sirius
68 Posts
Looks Good! Any more details or a walk through on how you did it? I'd love to do something like this on my '08. I like that it is nice and unobtrusive compared to some of the larger ones on most trucks/SUV's

·
Registered
2002 Outback Sedan H6 3.0 VDC
151 Posts
Looks great! Can we get more pictures, one from the front dead on and another showing how exactly it mounts. :29:

-Tim

·
Registered
2005 Outback Sedan 3.0R
72 Posts
I have to agree, that looks great! I'd love to see some close up pics of how it's attached to your bracket and where all mounting points are.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the kind words. I wanted the mount to be able to attach without taking the bumper cover off. I had to cut two slots in the bottom of the bumper cover for the flat bar to slide through. I just popped out the center plastic rivet and pulled the cover down as I slid them through. I also had to trim off the 6 "ears" on the plastic engine cover near the bolt holes. I was able to reuse the original bolts that hold the engine cover to the core support. The angle iron is 2"x1/8" and the flat bar is 1.5"x1/4". The only tools used were an angle grinder and stick welder. I hope this project inspires others to not accept the limited selection of Subaru specific accessories, as there are tons of generic options that can work with just a little effort!

Attachments

·
Registered
2002 Outback 2.5
41 Posts
Hi, sorry to bring this back up but I was wondering if you have mounted any lights on this push bar yet? I am interested to see how it handles the weight? Does your mount allow the bar to move up and down when you drive, hit bumps that kind of stuff? I ask because I was thinking about building something like this.

Thanks

Winner

·
Registered
2002 Outback 2.5
41 Posts
For anyone that finds this in the future. I built almost the exact same mount shown above, same bumper and everything and it does bounce enough to be annoying with the lights on. I rebuilt mine as fallows. 2X2 1/4 angle bolted as described above to the same spots as he belly pan, then welded another piece of the same angle onto it to form something of as s, the bent peice of flat bar was the weak spot in my last one. Then I welded some 2inch wide channel to the angle.. Channel that short and heavy wont flex.

If I was building it again I would bolt this on not weld so that if you want you can take it off and the car would look stock. Also would make install a lot easier. Overall this is a great mod. Love the extra light and the look thanks prattj1 for finding this bumper,

Oh and I welded tabs on the bumper to mount the light but you guys are all smart and can figure that out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts