Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cheapest way to go, ebay aluminum mesh. I was too lazy to shop around for house gutter guard stuff, but what I saw of it at online stores it cost about the same anyway. At least, I'm pretty sure this is all it is. Total cost=$9.00 plus some nylon ties I had. Photo attached.
Was so simple to remove the upper OEM grill (4 top clips and two bottom/sides clips) and slide the lower mesh piece down at an angle past the plastic skid plate then flex the other end down in. Used only two ties at the top corners, going through some holes in the interior bumper. I should mention that working around the A/C condensor {or radiator} is tricky, nonetheless, because of how delicate it is.
Top piece was far easier to place, but had to have holes where the bottom corner clips pass through it. I also had to trim about 3 inches off the lower and 6 inches off the upper to make them fit across. The upper piece didn't go up all the way unless I bent or trimmed the top corners but I decided to leave an open space for more airflow there anyhow. Can't be seen much.
All in all, a very inexpensive (yeah, cheap) bit of grill work!

Got the Fumoto oil drain valve sooner than expected so I've made the change to Mobil 1 5W-30 today, odometer at 1442. Either I imagined it or the car was smoother while pulling it back off the ramps. Some slope downhill here, so ramps level the car out for oil drains and I can crawl under there better.

Disconnected the negative battery cable an hour to do the ECM reset, too. Afterward, lost ability to use keyless remote, which I didn't think of, but was easy to regain using the OM instructions: 10 key turns on/lock within 15 seconds and exit car, then press a button. Never had one of these before so that worried me a little.

P.S.
About that drain valve... I saw something like it at a WalMart months ago, didn't think I'd use one until I got a new car. Then someone here told of the Fumoto (thanks!).
Glad I got it. Couldn't get the bolt out until I added a pipe to my ratchet handle to give more leverage, and when it snapped loose I thought my ratchet broke. Then, as usual, hot dirty oil spilled all over my hand and arm. By comparison this valve thing is going to be fantastic. Photo of it on my '04 OBS oil pan shown in reply here, little lever is facing back and so is hidden from view. Oil drains in direction of arrow.

Attachments

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
closer look

Thanks FMG.

Sure, I'll just crop parts from the original photos, complete with bug collections (needs a wash again). You should be able to see how the upper mesh ends before reaching all the way to the top.

I haven't road-tested this, yet. With only two nylon ties on the lower and the upper held by two of it's own clip points I'm a little concerned about looseness and noise. I just wanted to keep it simple for now. This stuff was so cheap to buy I might redo it a different way someday.

I'll reply (or edit) back here about the effect driving has on it later today.

Attachments

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
grill passes road test

Drove at all sorts of speeds, rural roads to freeway. No rattling or extra wind noise, nothing I could discern from the usual road noises anyway. Looks like they stayed in place very well, too, which is surprising considering how they're practically only wedged behind the bumper. :) Oh, and no change in temperature gauge reading either.

Mod update: license plate lights are now LED's. A kind with 4 tiny LED's on the sides and larger single one in the middle. Once I start on swapping out regular bulbs for LED's I can't stop. What stopped me before with my truck was the way it alternated turn signal flashes between two pairs of front lights (parking/signal). I never tried adding resistors to help but I think the alternating on/off while other pair was off/on might have been impossible to use as is, since LED's are oneway electric circuits. I never found anything out before it got traded in for the OBS, I just gave up on it several months before that.

The OBS's amber bulbs look alright to me so maybe I won't change those. Had been thinking of Xenon bulbs for the dome/map/cargo lights; those could possibly be LED, too, just not sure about the dimming-to-off and how that might be affected. Besides that, white LED's always look bluish-white and I'd rather have those pure white. Are incandescent yellow-white, currently, which I never liked about interior lights.

So... progress continues in the quest to "mod" my own OBS, minor as it may be. Also been checking into front shock tower strut bar, like other people have mentioned. Putting that idea aside for now.

·
Registered
135 Posts
The mesh is definitely a great idea. However i would worry more during the winter road tests. In just thinking about it there may be a problem with the mesh getting freezing water or snow on it causing there to be reduced airflow and possibly overheating the radiator. Just a thought. I guess only time will tell.;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts