Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our family needs a second affordable car but we also need a bigger main car for our growing fam. Thinking we should just lease a base Legacy and then trade our Outback to an Ascent next year.

I was looking online and saw some Legacy lease deals:
2018 Legacy for $199/Month on a 36-Month Lease (Standard 2.5i model). $2,609 due at lease signing. $0 security deposit.

The rep said it's stupid to put 2k down at signing - just do a bigger monthly payment.

What are some gotchas I need to look out for? Total lease newb here.

·
Registered
2021 Outback Onyx Edition XT
1,886 Posts
The lease rate is for the base model. You won't get the better Starlink packages, etc. The salesman had a relatively smart point - 2609 / 36 months is another $72 per month. So, it's really a $271 month lease.

I would say the big thing is to make sure the base model has what you're hoping and looking for. I personally suggest the premium at minimum for any model. You get a lot of really convenient features.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
4,275 Posts
Best to put little or nothing down on a lease as long as it doesn't raise anything else. If you have that money already just put it in a bank account and use part of it each month for the lease payment so you can still budget for a smaller monthly payment if needed. I put more down on mine than I should have (I think close to $2,000) but I will know better next time if I choose to lease again. You risk losing that money if something happens, say the car gets totaled or stolen or something. Insurance will pay off the lease but you don't get reimbursed for any money already put into the deal.

I traded in a vehicle on my lease and got a nice check instead of using it all towards the lease. I put most of that money away and also put extra money each month with it (close to the difference of what I would have paid each month if I had financed a purchase rather than leasing). So even if I don't end up with any equity in my leased vehicle I will still have a nice chunk of change if I decide to purchase something next time around, or if I were to decide to purchase the leased vehicle (not likely at this point).

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,304 Posts
on Ascents:

you might ask about ordering the one you want now,

and possibly be able to get it sooner then the regular crop of dealer stock in August/Sept.

and then being forced to order then, or just take what is available in the first available.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts