Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
'97 Outback Limited, 2.5 DOHC, Automatic, ABS
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mine is a Limited, has the factory sub under the seat. Kinda sounds like a basket ball more than a sub. Was going to build a light box for the wayback, but found a large orphan 1970's KLH for $5. Tweeter worked, so I can put my model 5 back together, oops wrong forum....so I grabbed an MTX 10 from my last car (Big Mercury with 3 of these on a board in back of the seat with 900 watts) Huh what was that???? bolted it magnet out for a little extra box volume, left the tweeter hole open for a port. Ran the wire under the seat cushion. Oh, the OE sub, took it apart, drilled three holes, one is from the positive terminal of the woofer, about a 4 inch pigtail. Then I bolted up a double binding post. The wire from the positive speaker teminal now goes to the pos. post. I ran a wire from the neg terminal of the speaker to the neg post. Now I can take the big sub out and hook the pigtail up and still have some bass. Box sounded cleaner with the tweeter hole about 7/8 covered over. Anyway, $5 box, $2 wire and binding post, $40 woofer, it works well and takes uo very little room. Just a thought for you home brewers. S

·
Registered
2011 Tacoma TRD Sport Double Cab Long Box
2,893 Posts
Mine is a Limited, has the factory sub under the seat. Kinda sounds like a basket ball more than a sub. Was going to build a light box for the wayback, but found a large orphan 1970's KLH for $5. Tweeter worked, so I can put my model 5 back together, oops wrong forum....so I grabbed an MTX 10 from my last car (Big Mercury with 3 of these on a board in back of the seat with 900 watts) Huh what was that???? bolted it magnet out for a little extra box volume, left the tweeter hole open for a port. Ran the wire under the seat cushion. Oh, the OE sub, took it apart, drilled three holes, one is from the positive terminal of the woofer, about a 4 inch pigtail. Then I bolted up a double binding post. The wire from the positive speaker teminal now goes to the pos. post. I ran a wire from the neg terminal of the speaker to the neg post. Now I can take the big sub out and hook the pigtail up and still have some bass. Box sounded cleaner with the tweeter hole about 7/8 covered over. Anyway, $5 box, $2 wire and binding post, $40 woofer, it works well and takes uo very little room. Just a thought for you home brewers. S
When I started reading this, I was worrying you cannibalized that KLH to somehow use the woofer as a car sub! If there's a definition for sin, that would be it.

I'm a tiny bit of an audiophile myself. I'd love to find myself a nice pair of Model 5s some day!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts