Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Legacy Outback
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Boy, when did it stop being so economical to change your own oil? $28 for the cheaper synthetic oil, $5 for the motor flush (aka kerosene), and $8 for the Wix filter. And that doesn't necessarily include the zinc additive I occasionally top up with, which now seems to run another $6/bottle...I must have been under a rock for the past few years.

I might as well let the trained monkeys at Jiffy Lube do it for $20, and then if they f*** up (it's happened to me before), they're liable for it. Ahhh, I recall the days when it used to be fun to work on your own car and it saved you money to boot.

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
The retail markup on bottled oil is pretty disgusting.

I think the marketing geeks figured out that "everyone knew that changing your own was cheaper" and decided to exploit it. Kind of like how the big bottles of detergent at the supermarket started being more expensive per unit than the smaller ones...

Also you should be able to find wix and other quality filters for less- I'm impressed by the savings available by mail order. Corner store markup is nasty on those.

·
Registered
1999 Legacy Outback
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Spot on, friend. I used to exclusively purchase online...was an Amsoil dealer (maybe I still am, I don't know, not sure that I ever renewed) and filters by the case. Perhaps I should go back to that. Since I've moved to this area, though, and not having a nice place yet to do my own work, my routine has been thrown all out of whack.

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
I just ordered a few boxes of Mann filters for a couple of cars in the family... with freight I think it worked out to $2.85 per.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited/2.5L/CVT
394 Posts
For starters, lose the kerosene based engine flush and the supplementary additives. If you need to flush a neglected engine, the new detergent based Amsoil flush works very well and doesn't significantly thin out the oil.

Comparing the prices of top tier synthetic lubes to the cheap bulk oil (and cheap filter), used by quick lubes is comparing apples to oranges.

TS

·
Registered
1999 Legacy Outback
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmmm...I didn't know that Amsoil made a "flush" product. Have to check into it. Thanks! As for the additives, I do occasionally add zinc to my engine to give me some extra protection just in case of some metal-to-metal contact...but I do that for ALL my IC engines, not just for the vehicles. :)

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,529 Posts
Boy, when did it stop being so economical to change your own oil? $28 for the cheaper synthetic oil, $5 for the motor flush (aka kerosene), and $8 for the Wix filter. And that doesn't necessarily include the zinc additive I occasionally top up with, which now seems to run another $6/bottle...I must have been under a rock for the past few years.

I might as well let the trained monkeys at Jiffy Lube do it for $20, and then if they f*** up (it's happened to me before), they're liable for it. Ahhh, I recall the days when it used to be fun to work on your own car and it saved you money to boot.
I buy oil online also ... I pay $ 5.00 per liter (a.k.a. quart) synthetic 0W20 (a case of 6 for $ 29.99 - no tax and no shipping charges) ...google it on Amazon!

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,305 Posts
Let's see, my last oil change:

5 quarts G-Oil, cost about $3 after mail in rebate.
1 PureOne filter, cost about $3.50 after Advance auto sale and coupon.
No additives for me.

Total oil change cost Under $7.

Expensive? No comprendo. If you look, you can find oil for good prices. Same with filters.

·
Registered
2013 Outback Lim 2.5
1 Posts
I buy the 5 quart jug of Mobile 1 Synthetic 0w-20 at Walmart for $25. Hard to imagine that they are $7 each quart. I also just bought some K&N PS-1010 oil filters on Amazon for $5 each. The Mobile 1 sells out pretty fast at Walmart. If you see the section of Mobile 1 5 quart jugs and one row is empty, its the 0W-20. I scored 3 last week. Oh I also bought the crush washers on Ebay for less than $1 each.

·
12,305 Posts
*Mobil

·
Premium Member
2005 Mazda 6 && 2007 Outback 3.0 LLBean, WGO
388 Posts
AWDFTW - what is this "G-Oil" madness?
*googles it* ...biodegradable motor oil? And other 'green' products? fascinating...
Any comments on it vs Big Name Brands? How often do you change?

·
Registered
2009 2.5i, H4, Auto.
842 Posts
If you have a warehouse store (Sam's Club, Costco, etc) in your area, look there to pickup a case. My local Sam's typically averages $36 for a case of 12 quarts Mobile 1 5w30. That's $3/quart.

·
Registered
'05 2.5i H4 4-Speed Auto w/Sportshift
514 Posts
I don't trust just any monkey changing my oil, especially since I prefer full synthetic. I know of a mechanic who would put conventional oil in Full-Synthetic bottles, then use the Synthetic for his own vehicle and "sell" the customer the "Synthetic" oil that is now just some cheap off-brand name, only in a pretty bottle.

If the mechanic doesn't permit you in the bay area, how does one know for a fact that what they are purchasing and getting aren't two different things?:17:

·
12,305 Posts
AWDFTW - what is this "G-Oil" madness?
*googles it* ...biodegradable motor oil? And other 'green' products? fascinating...
Any comments on it vs Big Name Brands? How often do you change?
It meets API specs. There are few Used Oil Analysis on BITOG you can check out, but it seems to be a decent oil, especially for free after rebate. I'll be running it 6000-7500 miles, depending on my UOA results, it does not appear to be an extended drain interval oil.

Impressions: well, the engine feels the same as ever and my typical consumption (about .5 quart over about 5000 miles) has not changed by using it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts