Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Civic EX Coupe, previously had a '98 Outback with 245k before we retired it...
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I just took my car to the shop cause the check engine light was on. The diagnostic machine said it was the cat. Does anyone know where I can get a used or cheap cat for my 98 OB 2.5L cause I cant afford a brand new one from Subaru right now. Thanks

·
Superb Moderator, ,
MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT
6,186 Posts
Get a universal one with the right size pipe and have a local shop weld it on for you. Brian

·
OBS Obsessed, ,
250 Posts
If the car has less than 80k miles on it the dealer should cover that under warranty under federal law.

·
Registered
2000 Civic EX Coupe, previously had a '98 Outback with 245k before we retired it...
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I only wish my car had that few miles on it, but thanks anyway. Its got over 191,000 on it and this is the second time we have had to replace the cat. I found one on ebay that has the O2 sensor slot in it but I was wondering does anybody know how big the piping is into and out of the cat? There are 2 sizes one for 2 1/4" or just 2". Are either of these sizes correct or should I just get one and have my ehaust guy weld it with an adapter if needed. Thanks again

·
OBS Obsessed, ,
250 Posts
Wow! 191k on a 98 is a ton of miles! I think that it is 2.25" but I am not 100% sure. Like you said you could have it welded to fit either way. Call a dealer - they could probably tell you the right size.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, ill let you know how it turns out!

-Craig

·
Superb Moderator, ,
MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT
6,186 Posts
It's not 2.25", it's more like 1.75" Everyone with a N/A car upsize to the two and a quarter. Make sure from a dealer standpoint, and then buy a universal one if you can. Don't forget about O2 sensors if they are near. Brian

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I emailed the nearby dealer to find the size and the universal ones I found on ebay have the o2 sensor hole in it. Thanks

-Craig

1 - 8 of 8 Posts