Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Hope that this is the corect place for this post. I have a 1999 legacy outback wagon. it has over 190.000 miles the ceck engan light has com in. what is a inexpesave tester to use on it and where is the port toplug in to?

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,307 Posts
Thread moved to correct forum.

Where are you located? In the US (except for California) any autoparts store will read the code for free.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you for the help I live in wisconsin. I still would like to get a reader and trubble shoot the problem. most cars that I drive I fix I have even did moter swaps. it just makes me feal good to be abel to do it.

·
Registered
Onyx, 2008 LL Bean 3.0R and 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
4,112 Posts
I found a decent cheap ODB II reader on Amazon. It plugs into the port just under the left side of the kick plate on the dash. Above the emergency brake pedal. It is about 2" long by about 1/2" high and is narrower at the top than bottom. It's the only thing the reader's cable will fit into under the dash.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok thank you you have a name for the reader? what I have read so far from other places is that I think there are 3 forms of how the data is transferd. any idea wich one thesubaru uses?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well something strang has happend the check engen ligh has gone out. I am still wateing for the tester to come and the light hent out without a fix. I guess the new question is can I pull up the oldd error cod ith the light out?

·
Registered
18,296 Posts
. . . .can I pull up the oldd error cod ith the light out?
In most cases, yes. The CEL will normally go out if the fault that originally caused it to turn on isn't detected again (usually in three consecutive driving cycles). However, the code or codes associated with the CEL should remain in the car's computer memory for up to 40 driving cycles, so you should still be able to read the codes for the next while.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts