Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Into garage 2 times. “Reset” Five miles later—- lights back on. But “ Nothing is wrong”. Surely Subaru knows EXACTLY WHAT IS WRONG. Perhaps one of their top notch engineers could give me a hint. Grrrrrr.

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
What trouble codes are they finding?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haven’t a clue, I’m a Nurse- work on people, not cars. The problem here seems fairly common for many years. Why no resolution from Subaru? Other postings show multiple approaches that are costly and don’t work.

·
Registered
Outback 2011 3.6R Premium
1,321 Posts
Catt modern cars are mobile computers and the engine check light is “set” when the computer detects a problem (just like a medical monitor sounds an alarm if a patients vital signs are not correct). The engine check light is not the problem, it is just an alarm to warn of a problem.

When an engine check light is set an analyser can be connected to the vehicle to read the actual Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC). The DTC is then used to help diagnose the cause of the actual problem. Some problems are fairly easy to determine, others can take several hours or even more to find the actual cause. There are many DTC’s that relate to hundreds of parts of the vehicle so your specific problem may not be “common” at all.

If you can find out what the actual code or codes are that are setting the check engine light we may be able to help you find the cause of the problem.

Seagrass

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My mechanic knows the codes. But found nothing wrong upon investigation. Again—- why doesn’t Subaru resolve this. I refer to the many “Fixes” that do nothing.

·
Registered
Outback 2011 3.6R Premium
1,321 Posts
Catt can you give us more info as I am not sure what you mean by “many fixes that do nothing”.

From what you have told us so far it sounds like you need another mechanic as they have not accurately diagnosed the actual problem. An engine check light “points to” the cause of the problem BUT the mechanic needs to then add his experience/knowledge and diagnostic skills to pin point the actual problem.

We are happy to try and help you resolve the issue but so far you have not given us any information to allow us to do so.

If you just came here to “vent” then that is OK too ;-)

Seagrass

·
Registered
17,796 Posts
@Catt

Further to what @seagrass has noted . . .

Might be helpful if you would post the year, make, model, engine and transmission type. Subarus, like most others, are different from year-to-year, and model-to-model.

Also, exactly which instrument panel warning lights come on?

(Incidentally, the Owners Manual lists the warning lights, and describes what they represent when they're on, and in some cases, the different meaning if on steadily, or flashing.)

·
Registered
2000 & 2002 Outback Wagon EJ251/Auto + 2004 Outback LL Bean EZ30/Auto + 1996 Legacy Outback Wagon EJ22/5sp + 2008 Outback Wagon EJ253/Auto + 2004 Legacy Sedan 35th Anniv. EJ251/Auto (not OB) + 2005 O
157 Posts
It is possible that the main engine plug has a bad connection. I had one that acted that way when I first put the engine back in after a head gasket job. It would light up a lot of the dash indicator lights, including the check engine light, but the codes it threw seemed completely random. Just something to check.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts