Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2013 Outback check engine light came on along with brake light and cruise control warning lights flashing. I found the gas cap was loose and tightened it, but lights are staying on for over a day now. Should I disconnect the battery to reset computer. Gas cap appears to be fine. Will I have any issues if I disconnect battery.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,305 Posts
how old is the battery ?

and is it the original type, or a better one like subaru should have put in?

·
Registered
18,285 Posts
Unless you know for sure that the CEL came on because of the loose gas cap, don't disconnect the battery. There could be a different fault that is causing the CEL etc to be on.

If the gas cap was the problem, then the CEL should reset after three consecutive drive cycles without any further fault being detected. A drive cycle typically is cold start, drive in various conditions (city, highway) with the engine fully warmed up, and then stop to full cool down again.

If the light does not go out after several drive cycles, then have the code(s) read. If you don't have an OBD code reader, some parts stores will do it for you. The code can be used to identify the problem area that caused the CEL to be triggered.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts