Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Outback Legacy
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

My 97 Outback has given me issues on two different occasions. Both times it was during or just after pretty wet weather. It runs spitting and sputtering and the check engine light comes on. Also I notice a little steam coming from under the hood. Eventually the car comes out of it or least it did the first time. Does anyone know what this could be? Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Kevin

·
Superb Moderator, ,
MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT
6,186 Posts
Cylinder misfire due to bad plug wires maybe? A lot of moisture will aid in the leakage of voltage from the wires if they're near metal or another plug wire. Brian

·
Super Moderator
2007 Outback H6 LL Bean - Champagne Gold Opal
6,009 Posts
Yeah that sounds right.

My '97 was acting that way just yesterday, we got the remnants of Frances coming through town and it was very wet. I had a little fun driving through deep puddles, and shortly thereafter the car decided it wanted to stop running every time I stepped on the accelerator.

I have a new set of OEM wires on the way and I'm shopping for a set of NGK V-Power plugs. I will replace them ASAP.

·
Registered
1997 Outback Legacy
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the info. I know the car is over due for a tuneup so I guess I will change the plugs, wires and ect and see if that is the cure all. Once again I do appreciate your input!

Kevin

·
Registered
2 Posts
CHECK ENGINE LIGHT///ENGINE MISSING

One good fix is take a full can of WD-40 and fog everything under the hood. Drives out moisture....works great....also, if the ignition tower has a hairline crack, it will have to be replaced...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts