Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
recently i had to replace the main engine control computer on my 2009 outback because it was malfunctioning. now a few months later the check engine light is on and the cruise control light is flashing they turned on while i was driving.
if you guys know any reasons why please feel free to respond, thanks!

·
On the Super Mod Squad
02 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,212 Posts

·
Registered
2015 3.6 Premium
1,180 Posts
Loose gas cap is a common one.
My 2015 Christmas treed on me a few weeks ago which was two days after being serviced. Vacuum hose on the front of the engine where the upper cylinder cleaner had been pumped in was not hooked back up......

Reactions: Garandman

·
Registered
1999 30th Anniversary Legacy Outback DOHC 2.5L 4EAT, 2008 Impreza WRX 2.5L 5MT, 2008 Impreza Wagon 2.5L 4EAT
1,224 Posts
Check engine light means code is stored, the check engine light disables the cruise control so you will take your car into get it fixed. This may not be related to your original problem, it just means a code (s) are stored in the ECU. If you have an OBD II reader it will tell you the code. Or you can use the code reader function mentioned above.

Without the code we really can't tell you much other than a code is stored and that the code disables the cruise control

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just replaced the motor in my 2006 outback and the check engine light along with the cruise ( flashing) light is on. I took it back to the shop and he checked codes on it, nothing came up but he cleared it anyway, the check engine light went off but not the cruise light, shortly after I left the shop the check engine light came back on, she’s running great except no cruise control. Can you give me some pointers? Will disconnecting the positive battery cable for about 10 min and pressing the brake pedal for a minute help reset things ?? Read about that and going to try it.. lol.. thanks !!

·
Registered
18,174 Posts
Will disconnecting the positive battery cable for about 10 min and pressing the brake pedal for a minute help reset things ?? Read about that and going to try it..
If it's not too late, don't do that. That will erase any the record of any trouble codes that are stored in memory. It will also clear engine control module "learned" adjustments, possibly leading to difficult starting, or other performance issues, until the system can "relearn" what is needed for the engine to run well.

Your 2006 has an on-board code reader. Follow the instructions in this thread. Then look it/them up (e.g. Google), and/or report back here.

·
Registered
05 GT wagon, 09 Spec B, 18 3.6R Outback
683 Posts

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
If the check engine light is on, there should be stored codes to be scanned. Difficult to troubleshoot without the trouble codes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just replaced the motor in my 2006 outback and the check engine light along with the cruise ( flashing) light is on. I took it back to the shop and he checked codes on it, nothing came up but he cleared it anyway, the check engine light went off but not the cruise light, shortly after I left the shop the check engine light came back on, she’s running great except no cruise control. Can you give me some pointers? Will disconnecting the positive battery cable for about 10 min and pressing the brake pedal for a minute help reset things ?? Read about that and going to try it.. lol.. thanks !!
Thank you !! Will do that instead
Ok.. wound up taking the car to auto zone and having the codes checked on it.. reads p0172 and p0026 from bank 1. do I need to replace the intake valve control solenoid? Thanks y’all

·
Registered
2011 Tribeca, 2005 Legacy GT
74 Posts
Possibly. It could also be that the filter in the banjo bolt feeding oil to the solenoid is clogged. The consensus seems to be that this filter should be removed altogether.

·
Registered
18,174 Posts
Ok.. wound up taking the car to auto zone and having the codes checked on it.. reads p0172 and p0026 from bank 1. do I need to replace the intake valve control solenoid? Thanks y’all
Those are engine-related codes. In that regard, what engine do you have: 2.5 non-turbo, 2.5 turbo, or the 3.0 six-cylinder?

The P0026 could be the bank 1 (passenger side) AVLS (variable valve lift) solenoid, or, it could be the related AVLS oil pressure sensor switch. When the switch fails, it also leads to the same P0026 code. A symptom related to some cases of faulty switches is leaking oil from the switch.

It's also possible, but rarer, that the P0026 problem originates in a blocked screen filter; it's inside the solenoid housing on the back of the bank 1 head. When the screen is clogged, oil flow to the solenoid can be reduced, and that in turn reduces the oil pressure to the switch, leading to the code.

There's lots of posts here on the P0026, and the equivalent bank 2 P0028. Are you planning to do any required work yourself?

Is the engine oil level correct?

When the replacement engine was installed, was it's timing belt, and the camshaft timing, checked?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Possibly. It could also be that the filter in the banjo bolt feeding oil to the solenoid is clogged. The consensus seems to be that this filter should be removed altogether.
Ok... now you’re opening a new can of worms for me !! LOL.. have never heard of this.2
Those are engine-related codes. In that regard, what engine do you have: 2.5 non-turbo, 2.5 turbo, or the 3.0 six-cylinder?

The P0026 could be the bank 1 (passenger side) AVLS (variable valve lift) solenoid, or, it could be the related AVLS oil pressure sensor switch. When the switch fails, it also leads to the same P0026 code. A symptom related to some cases of faulty switches is leaking oil from the switch.

It's also possible that the P0026 problem originates in a blocked screen filter; it's inside the solenoid housing on the back of the bank 1 head. When the screen is clogged, oil flow to the solenoid can be reduced, and that in turn reduces the oil pressure to the switch, leading to the code.

There's lots of posts here on the P0026, and the equivalent bank 2 P0028. Are you planning to do any required work yourself?

Is the engine oil level correct?

When the replacement engine was installed, was it's timing belt, and the camshaft timing, checked?
2.5 non turbo 4cyl and I was considering trying to take it on myself but after viewing a couple of videos, I think I will just take it back to the shop where the replacement was done. I don’t have an answer to your questions about the timing belt and such.

·
Registered
18,174 Posts
That, I believe, refers to the turbo oiling system. The screen filter related to the AVLS is similar, but it hasn't generally shown up as a frequent cause of the P0026 and P0028 codes. See: avls filter and P0026 P0028

·
Registered
2 Posts
recently i had to replace the main engine control computer on my 2009 outback because it was malfunctioning. now a few months later the check engine light is on and the cruise control light is flashing they turned on while i was driving.
if you guys know any reasons why please feel free to respond, thanks!
Mine did that and it turns out my alternator has an issue code I got was for low voltage

1 - 15 of 15 Posts