Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Outback 2.5L 5 Speed, 2014 Outback Premium 2.5L CVT
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My check engine light has been coming on intermetintly for a while, but now but is happening more often. The first time it came on I took it to Oriley's and had the code read, it showed up as an P0420 Catalyst system efficiency below threshold bank one. I disconnected the battery and it was probably a month before it came on again, it has slowly been happening more often however, it had been staying on for a few trips, then off for a few weeks, but now it it coming on almost every drive now.

This morning I did the procedure to pull up the codes on the odometer display, however all 3 were blank. In this thread I'm not looking for help on the P0420 code, I'm just looking for help on the blank code, I want to confirm that this is still the code causing the check engine light before I look for help on that. Do I just need to have the code read again with a code reader?

I have a short video of what I did see in the display I can upload if that helps.

Thanks!

·
On the Super Mod Squad
02 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,212 Posts
My check engine light has been coming on intermetintly for a while, but now but is happening more often. The first time it came on I took it to Oriley's and had the code read, it showed up as an P0420 Catalyst system efficiency below threshold bank one. I disconnected the battery and it was probably a month before it came on again, it has slowly been happening more often however, it had been staying on for a few trips, then off for a few weeks, but now it it coming on almost every drive now.

This morning I did the procedure to pull up the codes on the odometer display, however all 3 were blank. In this thread I'm not looking for help on the P0420 code, I'm just looking for help on the blank code, I want to confirm that this is still the code causing the check engine light before I look for help on that. Do I just need to have the code read again with a code reader?

I have a short video of what I did see in the display I can upload if that helps.

Thanks!
is this a 2000 subaru, like it says in your profile at the left?
the onboard readout is only for Gen3 2005-2009 (2005 with unique procedures).

edit: I see you got a 2008 too,....

sometimes that onboard diagnostics takes a couple tries for things to get timed correctly for it to work.

·
Registered
2008 Outback 2.5
954 Posts
Either get an OBD2 reader (about $50 from Harbor Freight with a coupon) or a $10-$20 ELM327 Bluetooth (Android only) or ELM327 Wifi (Android or iOS) adapter with a software app to read the codes and reset them (once you fix the problem). Most free versions of the apps at least read and translate the codes and reset the trouble codes. Payware versions add all sorts of real time monitoring bells and whistles.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea sorry this is the 2008 Outback. I did try the procedure twice but I'll keep trying if you think it will help. I did get the P, then a flashing P, then a C but no codes after it.

·
Premium Member
2006 Outback Sedan LLBean
625 Posts
Get your self a Bluetooth obd2 reader. Cheap, and easy to diagnose with a smartphone and free or paid software. I remember my old auto XRay cost hundreds but it was all we had. Now it's just simple to diy and then Google the codes for your specific vehicle. Good luck!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I wouldn't mind having the android code reader, will it work on other vehicles as well? I know nothing about these and there are a lot of them out there. Suggestion on a specific model?

·
On the Super Mod Squad
02 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,212 Posts
Well I wouldn't mind having the android code reader, will it work on other vehicles as well? I know nothing about these and there are a lot of them out there. Suggestion on a specific model?
I use " $5 torque pro for android", on multiple vehicles including subaru.

and then a windows laptop with free Rom-Raider as its specific to subaru.

·
Registered
18,174 Posts
Yea sorry this is the 2008 Outback. I did try the procedure twice but I'll keep trying if you think it will help. I did get the P, then a flashing P, then a C but no codes after it.
If after going through the access procedure and pressing the trip meter button to cycle through the modules the indication for each is a P or C followed blanks, then there are no stored codes according to http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/109-gen-3-2005-2009/19053-05-06-09-how-read-diagnostic-trouble-codes-dtcs.html#post180018 .

Are you manually clearing the code every time it appears?

·
Premium Member
2006 Outback Sedan LLBean
625 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If after going through the access procedure and pressing the trip meter button to cycle through the modules the indication for each is a P or C followed blanks, then there are no stored codes according to http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/109-gen-3-2005-2009/19053-05-06-09-how-read-diagnostic-trouble-codes-dtcs.html#post180018 .

Are you manually clearing the code every time it appears?
Not everytime no, I have cleared in manually a few times in the past just so I could have cruise on a trip. The last time it was cleared was a little over a week ago when I replaced the valve cover gaskets, plugs, and wires, I had to remove the battery for this. The light has been on for probably 60% of the time since then, and it was on for the last drive before I tried to read the code this morning.

·
Registered
153 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts