Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The check engine light came on sitting at a traffic light on my 2010 Outback 2.5 manual. At the same time the brake light is flashing as well as the cruse on indicator, also the traction symbol came on. I tried applying and releasing the brake, with no change, but I couldn't engage the cruse. I've checked the gas cap and have started and shut it down numerous times and it hasn't reset. Is it normal for all those indicator lights to come on with the check engine light?
Thanks

·
Registered
Outbrat XT, Foz, 3.0R Limited
4,605 Posts
It's completely normal. Get the code read. Politely ask whomever that reads to it to clear it for you. They aren't supposed to but sometimes you get a human being.

Some things this condition will disable:
- cruise control
- traction control off
- SI drive

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,268 Posts
Vehicle is behaving as designed. Get the code(s) read at an AdvanceAutoNAPA.

·
Registered
2017 2.5 Touring
1,396 Posts
You could have a bad gas cap seal. My best guess. It has happened before. Search for 'bad gas cap'.
Also, bad battery connection.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The check engine light came on sitting at a traffic light on my 2010 Outback 2.5 manual. At the same time the brake light is flashing as well as the cruse on indicator, also the traction symbol came on. I tried applying and releasing the brake, with no change, but I couldn't engage the cruse. I've checked the gas cap and have started and shut it down numerous times and it hasn't reset. Is it normal for all those indicator lights to come on with the check engine light?
Thanks
Hi! I am curious to know what the problem was? I also have a 2010 manual. Thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
My 2011 2.5 CVT does this too but only if I fill up before a long drive, then if I've been driving for at least 2 hours and stop at a traffic light. When I accelerate on the green as soon as i get to the opposite of the intersection he code comes up. Parked for 5 min and turn the car off/on twice and it goes away.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i Convenience
1,267 Posts
Gotta love the useless posts and no follow up..... Without a code, it's pretty tough to help (at least quickly/efficiently).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Gotta love the useless posts and no follow up..... Without a code, it's pretty tough to help (at least quickly/efficiently).
I have the same problem and had a diagnostic done and it came back with the code p0171. Could these symptoms have anything to do with that same code. And, if not, is there any idea what I should do for that code.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i Convenience
1,267 Posts
@Karen Short
Code is for the system bank too lean, checks out with you saying it happens when the car doesn't start. So the engine is starved of fuel for some reason.
This can be caused by (order of checking in FSM): a leak in the exhaust, leak in the air intake, fuel delivery issue (either plug or low pressure), failing coolant temperature sensor, failing mass air flow sensor or air temp sensor.
Could be tough to pinpoint without the right tools for fuel issues. Does the car sound louder or have an odd sound (suggesting exhaust leak)? Check the snorkel is on the fitting and clamped tight. Check the air box is properly closed. These are probably most likely the cause. The sensors would then be checked for resistance readings and changed if out of range (of course finding the connector is often fun!)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts