Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drive an '04 Subaru Outback wagon with 166k+ miles on it. My check engine light came on recently (error code p0420), and I saw frayed wires hanging down from the underside of my car. The car is driving and sounding completely normal, other than the CEL and the hanging wire. Could this be a broken O2 sensor causing the CEL? Here's a link to a picture of what I'm seeing

Thanks, in advance, for your help!

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
that looks like the left overs of tall grass to me. i guess it does not look like that to you.

probably not a o2 wire.

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
If I'm not mistaken the P0420 code is for the catalytic converter, BUT I've ready a lot of posts on this forum about how a bad O2 sensor can throw that code. Search here for "P0420" and "Oxygen Sensor" and you'll find lots of advice. I agree with canubaru, that does not look like a wire and if it is, does not look like an O2 sensor wire. It may even be a wire you picked up from the road. I can't think of anything that would strip the insulation off a wire that badly without causing some other damage under the car.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
About this Discussion
2 Replies
4 Participants
DavidPeab
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing