Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1987 GL 4WD Wagon; 2006 Outback 2.5i
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car is an 06 Outback 2.5i 5 speed, 80,0000 miles.
CEL comes on today accompanied by a flashing "cruise" light. Cruise control will not enable. Engine runs normally. Car is driven home then parked for 10 minutes.

Engine is re-started, and light is still on. Car is driven 15 minutes then parked for 3 hours. Upon re-start, CEL is off and cruise light is off. Drove the car home and the CEL stayed off.

Question along with a general "what the heck is going on": If the CEL illuminates, a fault code is set. If it goes off on its own, can the code still be retrieved?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Holy Toledo! That's pretty cool. I had mentioned to my wife that I thought it would be just as easy to design the car to display a fault in plain english somewhere instead of a cryptic CEL.

I forgot to mention the CEL came on right after a fill-up. When my wife told me this, the cap was the first thing I checked. It wasn't obviously loose, but I unscrewed it and re installed it anyway.

I'll have to try the procedure stated in the link but the tables are not readable by my computer.

I think we'll drive it and see if it comes back.

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,473 Posts
Auto Zone can't scan cars in Cali. They have been banned due to lawsuits against them for improper diagnostics.

You can purchase small handheld scanners on the cheap that will read codes stored and some will actually give you live data from the car.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well it's true about AZ not scanning codes. I stopped by there yesterday and they couldn't help me. So I performed the headlight switch/odometer button ritual as suggested, and it seems like no codes are stored. The light is still off so I'm thinking it was simply a loose gas cap.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts