Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a 2012 2.5L Outback. It has 100K miles. The other day my husband was driving it up a long hill and it started running really bad like it was only running on 3 cylinders and then it died. We had it towed to our house and my son checked the codes which along with misfire codes for all 4 cylinders it also had PO073 and PO50A. It does start but you can tell that it is not right. We changed the battery because it is 6 years old and the spark plugs. I am having it towed to Subaru tomorrow. Anyone have a similar experience?

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i Convenience
1,388 Posts
Timing belt skip a notch or two? That would cause such issue. Hopefully it didn't because there could be bad things to find out....
If it didn't skip, your car is certainly at a mileage I'd consider replacing the TB, pulleys and tensioner (you have 5k miles until the service limit).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't think it did. My son checked the timing and it wasn't that. I do have plans to do the timing belt. It could be a coil pack but it's strange that all 4 cylinders are giving error codes.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
27,165 Posts
I don't think it did. My son checked the timing and it wasn't that. I do have plans to do the timing belt. It could be a coil pack but it's strange that all 4 cylinders are giving error codes.
timing belt KIT.
(some dealers just do the rubber timing belt, and then a component in the kit seizes at 130,000 miles and breaks the newish belt).

subaru coils last a long long time, not a typical maint. item like some cars. (and not something discussed at all here on cars as new as yours).

Reactions: 1 Lucky Texan
1 - 5 of 5 Posts