Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Outback L.L. Bean 3.0, 2018 Outback Limited 3.6R
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a set of tires from Walmart.com and had them installed today. They are Nokian Zline A/S tires, which seem so far to ride and handle OK. However, in checking the DOT data on the tires, I discovered that these tires were manufactured during the week of November 14th, 2016, making them almost 19 months old! So I already lost about 17% of the 6-year normal tire life. I don't know that I have any recourse, but it is a lesson learned about ordering tires sight unseen.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I recently bought a set of tires from Walmart.com and had them installed today. They are Nokian Zline A/S tires, which seem so far to ride and handle OK. However, in checking the DOT data on the tires, I discovered that these tires were manufactured during the week of November 14th, 2016, making them almost 19 months old! So I already lost about 17% of the 6-year normal tire life. I don't know that I have any recourse, but it is a lesson learned about ordering tires sight unseen.

I had a similar issue with discount tire and a Camry, where they sold me 4 tires of 4 different mfg dates and a couple very close to the two year limit past which they are illegal to sell as new IIRC. I complained and they replaced the oldest ones with much newer ones the next day. I don't know what the wallymart satisfaction guarantee is.

Best policy is to inspect the tires before mounting. Funny if you talk to the counter guys at least at DT about the mfg date they will look at you as if you came from Mars, but then they are all trained to look at the mfg date when they go out to look at your car and they won't repair a tire over 6 years old, so they do know how to read the mfg dates. Just not on the tires they sell as "new" I guess. :wink2:

·
Registered
282 Posts
Two weeks ago I ordered 4 Conti Pure Contacts for my sons SX4 Crossover (205/60R16) from an on-line tire store that I have not had any previous issues with. However, 3 tires sent were date coded 2816 and 1 was 1617. Called CS and they are replacing all 4 with a fresh set special ordered directly from Continental. I also ordered four 13" (185/70R13, Kumho TA11's) tires for our Brat. These are about 9 months old. Will not complain about these as it is getting hard to find decent 13" tires. Always look at date codes.....

·
Premium Member
2007 2.5 L Obsidian Black Outback XTL
603 Posts
Its like a grocery store where you buy milk.

Don't grab the containers off of the front of the rack, look at the expiration dates, they put the oldest ones up front. Sometimes it can be as much as a week of difference between the old milk up-front and the new milk at the back of the rack.

Tire sales stock much of been mastered by someone who had sold milk.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,195 Posts
tire industry sites been going back and forth on the issue.

the tires were stored inside,

not sitting out in the sun, or in use on the car.

no time on the tire clock.

you can call wally mart and complain.

·
Registered
2010 2.5 CVT Limited
1,372 Posts
... and a couple very close to the two year limit past which they are illegal to sell as new IIRC..
Which state is this?
AFAIK, there is no Federal law that stipulates a limit on the age of a tire that can be sold as new. Companies have policies, manufacturers have recommendations and guidelines but unless there was a recent law or NHTSA or DOT regulation passed, there is no legal restriction.

Just trying to help keep facts straight. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Which state is this?
AFAIK, there is no Federal law that stipulates a limit on the age of a tire that can be sold as new. Companies have policies, manufacturers have recommendations and guidelines but unless there was a recent law or NHTSA or DOT regulation passed, there is no legal restriction.

Just trying to help keep facts straight. Thanks.

Thanks for this pointer.

Looks to me like the industry is having their cake and eating it too. There seems to be an industry-accepted "use by" date for tires of 6 years for example: Tires Expire in Six Years - Tire Safety Group.
As you say I could not after some googling find similar industry standards or govt. rules about a "sell by" date i.e. a defined length of time for which a tire is considered "new".

In my earlier post I was going by a conversation I had with an installer at Costco, who told me they were (in my recollection) "not allowed" to install a tire over two years old. I assumed (which is dangerous) that this practice was due to a govt. regulation, but maybe in fact he was referring instead to a company policy.

·
Registered
2007 Outback L.L. Bean 3.0, 2018 Outback Limited 3.6R
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
UPDATE: I contacted my local Walmart where the tires were installed. I didn't really want to go through an exchange process, especially for the same tire, because I have little confidence the replacements would be significantly younger. They were sympathetic, but requested that I contact Walmart.com. I chatted with a nice robot on Walmart.com, and was able to easily negotiate a 15% refund after Jorge the chatbot checked with its "supervisor."

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,529 Posts
Persistence always pays!

Typically, most retail outlets' floor managers are authorized to give customers 10% discount without having to go to their superiors for an approval or match other retailer's sale prices (Target, Kohls, TJMaxx and such).

With eCommerce, one can even get more or possibly a total refund without having to return items to third party vendors (e.g. items sold by third party vendors on Amazon).

Tire stores like America's Tire, Discount Tire Centers, Tire Rack and the # 1 California tire store "Onlinetires.com" often run sales or special that are sponsored by tire manufacturers. Most, if not all, usually carry "fresh tires".

Tire Rack has "recommended" installers in (or near) just about any U.S. location with pre-negotiated installation charges.

Tires bought at Costco, Walmart, Sam's Club and PepBoys have another advantage because they have retail locations nationwide.

Worst place to buy tires (moneywise) is at dealerships, IMO!

My favorite place for tires is America's Tire (HQ in Scottsdale, AZ) with 900 stores in 29 states...

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Worst place to buy tires (moneywise) is at dealerships, IMO!

Agree. Car dealers seem to push second-tier tire brands at above first-tier brand prices, even if you use the silly coupons they send out, judging from the "service special discount" mail I get from the dealers.

I have wondered why in recent years new car stores have gotten into the tire business, even my Subaru place wants to sell me expensive tires. Used to be unheard of that a new car store would sell tires. I thought the business model for tire retailing had evolved to where the shop sells only tires, and very little else. Guess they are looking for every $, try to make every brake job into $1000 linings-rotors-fluid-etc., then double that with 4 new tires :wink2:.

I'll ask the next time I'm at the Sube store I go to. I would think they have to send this work out, rather than use up the space needed to house equipment and tire stock not to mention a qualified tech. That might also explain why the less than premium brand tires are so expensive there.

·
Registered
2005 Outback Wagon 3.0 L.L. Bean
839 Posts
Nokian. Makes sense to me. Rare tire to find anyone who stocks them. If the tires were stored out of sun in climate control, I don't find 1.5 years too bad.

Reactions: bheinen74
1 - 12 of 12 Posts