Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I've got a new(to me) EJ25 to replace the one currently in my 99 Outback. I've planned to change a few things before I put the new motor in and I was hoping someone could take a look at what I'm going to get before I get it. I really don't want to spend money I don't have to.

Head Gasket Set
Fel-Pro HS26167PT2

Front Crankshaft Seal

Timing Belt Kit to include water pump
Amazon.com: ACDelco TCKWP277A Professional Timing Belt Component Kit With Water Pump: Automotive

Thermostat

Am I forgetting anything? I planned to change spark plugs, spark plug wires, and the oil separator. Is there something I should change as well while I have it out?

Thanks for taking the time to look!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Forget the Stant thermostat ... get an OEM one from a Subaru dealer. Our cars don't like aftermarket thermostats and many overheating problems result from using them.

Also, use NGK plugs and NGK or Subaru plug wires only. They work in our cars and many others don't.

Reseal the oil pump while you're in there.

Ok that's not a big difference in cost. I was thinking NGK wires and iridium plugs. To reseal the oil pump is that just a gasket?

·
Registered
189 Posts
I usually get all my Subi Parts from Outfront Motorsports , They had the new revised head gaskets :29:

Welcome to Outfront, mate !

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Ok that's not a big difference in cost. I was thinking NGK wires and iridium plugs. To reseal the oil pump is that just a gasket?
Resealing the oil pump is a little more complicated than a gasket. See link for how-to.

Remove and Reseal Oil Pump ~ Subaru Legacy Outback ~ BeerGarage.com

There is very little, if any, performance difference between the NGK plugs for our cars. There is nothing wrong with the iridium and they should last the longest, but Subaru specs the laser platinum. Roughly:

-90k miles iriidum
-60k miles laser platinum
-30k miles low-end platinum or copper

A normal plug change is enough of a PITA that most go with the longer life plugs despite the higher cost.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Resealing the oil pump is a little more complicated than a gasket. See link for how-to.

Remove and Reseal Oil Pump ~ Subaru Legacy Outback ~ BeerGarage.com

There is very little, if any, performance difference between the NGK plugs for our cars. There is nothing wrong with the iridium and they should last the longest, but Subaru specs the laser platinum. Roughly:

-90k miles iriidum
-60k miles laser platinum
-30k miles low-end platinum or copper

A normal plug change is enough of a PITA that most go with the longer life plugs despite the higher cost.

Thanks for the info. I don't know what the **** I'm doing anyways so it shouldn't be that hard...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
3 Participants
ding
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing