Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Outback 3.6R Ltd. w. Eyesight
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased my OB used with ~8K miles. PO had it serviced at ~6K and I just had it serviced less than 100 miles ago at ~12K. This weekend I changed the cabin air and engine air filters. This is the engine air filter. I've owned 25+ cars and about a dozen motorcycles, so I've probably changed air filters hundreds of times, and this is first time I've ever seen leaves in one. I wonder if the air box lid wasn't properly seated, either at the factory or during the 6K service, and obviously the tech who did the 12K service a few days ago didn't look at it at all or the dealer certainly would've wanted to sell me a filter. I cleaned the air box out really good before installing the new filter. I guess I'm glad the filter did it's job and caught all those leaves and crap, though.

·
Super Moderator
2016 3.6 Limited with ES
2,835 Posts
I've had small leaves in mine from time to time, including bees and bird feathers. That looks kind of normal to me and since nothing got through, it seems like it's working as intended.

·
Registered
85 Posts
That's not bad, that's why the filter is there. Just remove leaves and knock out filter and reinstall. A dirty filter means it is doing it's job. Easy filter check is shine a light thru filter, if reasonably bright or seen it's ok, if really dim replace. Filters are at their lowest efficiency when clean. They are designed to load which increases efficiency to a point while maintaining adequate airflow. Premature replacement is a waste of money for you, easy money for dealer. Just because it is discolored doesn't mean it's necessary to replace. Periodic INSPECTION is easy.

·
Premium Member
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,966 Posts
BOTH of my soobs have busted-out slots at the bottom of the lower part of the int filt holder. Replacements are pricey so, right now, I have multiple zip ties holding the top part down as tight as possible. Not ideal.

I had bought some panel clamps (used for welding?) in the hope I could use them to clamp the lower part to the upper part but they don't quite open far enough.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts