Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Outback Touring
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. New to this forum with a 2020 Subaru Outback Touring! Loving it! Actually not hating on the issues many have. Compared to my lemon Jeep Grand Cherokee, or super slow infotainment Rover Evoque, this car is lightning fast and responsive. Obviously some small things to work on. Love the way it drives and ride height (crazy to see some reviewers on youtube say it drives horribly!).

Anyway, this post is an FYI and seeking out info if anyone has it. After looking for some accessories like cargo net and 2nd row sunshade (for my toddler and soon to be baby girl), I realized that on other non subaru websites, they all carry prop 65 warnings. In fact, even the floor mats, tray cover, and seat back protectors. While I get that some may see prop 65 as overbearing and unecessary, I am very serious about my health and safety, and I know others might be too (I have had personal experience with chemicals impacting myself and some family members). I called Subaru and they provided no additional information, and acted as if "its just california." You may wonder why I'd be concerned given that new car smell is relatively toxic (VOCs). Those do wane over time especially if you leave your windows open in the garage as I am.

One alarming chemical that is listed (one website only did it list the actual chemicals for the warning) is a very toxic flame retardant (antimony trioxide). Now, you may say, who cares. But imagine carrying organic lettuce or some other fruit and putting it directly in the netting; or putting things that your kids come in contact with everyday. With tent studies and car seat studies, it has been revealed flame retardants rub off very easily but also when exposed to heat cause significant off gassing. Granted, it seems other car company's products have the same warning, so it isn't just subaru, but I do recognize that Subaru seems to be more environmentally concerned. Regardless, thought I'd let everyone know in case they cared. If enough people cared, perhaps this can change the way these are made? It can be done as at least for floor mats, there are companies that don't use chemicals that are on the prop 65 list.

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT, Cinnamon Brown Pearl
463 Posts
See your owner's manual, PP 10 and 505 for some warnings. There may be more.

A Subaru dealer in California should be better versed on Prop 65 than the Subaru headquarters in New Jersey.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2WOOFS. Very smart! Thank you for your suggestion! Also would like to say that the info on MSRP discount on this forum helped me work a great deal at Valley Subaru in Longmont. Ironically, I thought I was calling Boulder Flatirons. Heuberger was a complete joke. The guy was rude, insulting, and told me that I would NEVER find the price I was asking, which was around 12.4% off msrp, and they padded the numbers. I will say I likely won't go back to Valley Subaru as I caught them padding the MF rates more than doulbe the base even after I told them not to (shame on me for not checking again). Also, the GM made a lame excuse for why I couldn't pay the fees upfront (line 9) rather than amortizing them as they did--he claimed Subaru doesn't allow them to put it on line 9 for a lease. Don't believe that as lease hakr website details line by line on a general contract for leases. Regardless with all fees out the door price was still below invoice thanks to this forum!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks 2WOOFS. I have read similar factoid sheets. I am no lawyer, but what I gleen from those are mostly related to the actual parts of a vehicle and replacement parts such as motor parts etc. If I understood one section properly, I do agree that there should be a chemical concentration amount listed or required to determine the warning. As if its in extremely small quantities or a residue (versus coating or worked in the product throughout) I might not be as concerned. Hopefully california dealers will be able to answer better!

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Outback Limited
608 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT, Cinnamon Brown Pearl
463 Posts
Thanks 2WOOFS. I have read similar factoid sheets. I am no lawyer, but what I gleen from those are mostly related to the actual parts of a vehicle and replacement parts such as motor parts etc. If I understood one section properly, I do agree that there should be a chemical concentration amount listed or required to determine the warning. As if its in extremely small quantities or a residue (versus coating or worked in the product throughout) I might not be as concerned. Hopefully california dealers will be able to answer better!
I am no lawyer either, but in a past life I worked on some contamination issues in California.

I believe there are de minimis amounts of most of the items and auto makers have won in court to not have to list anything below the de minimus amount. That's why one only sees the battery specifically called out. California calls these "Safe Harbor Levels".

·
Premium Member
2019 Outback Limited / 2020 Outback Limited
102 Posts
Maybe that’s why so many people are moving to Texas from California.

Perhaps Toyota saw the light and is why they moved their HQ’s here.

Saw a bumper sticker this week that read “Don’t California My Texas.”???

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I wont get too much into politics as thats not the point of the post, but I will say I see the balancing act of both sides. Smart legislation to protect people from toxic chemicals is needed, but rather than penalize businesses there should be incentives for better quality products that meet or beat the threshold and then even more if they dont use those chemicals (which is entirely possible and at times completely and utterly unnecessary). With clear guidelines. But, lets hope Texas stays Texas! Each state should keep its own identity: and thats coming from a guy who lives in the state formally known as colorado.

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT, 2013 Outback Lim SAP 270K, 2003 Outback Lim MT 2.5L, 241K..
2,182 Posts
Maybe that’s why so many people are moving to Texas from California.

Perhaps Toyota saw the light and is why they moved their HQ’s here.

Saw a bumper sticker this week that read “Don’t California My Texas.”???
You dont have to worry about me moving to Texas from here. ;)

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT
2,991 Posts
Six months in each state will make you wish for the other. At least that was my experience living in both states (although CA has my heart).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts