Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT in Autumn Green Metallic
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Chimani app comes preinstalled. Those with their car, is it really free or just pre-installed and required payment to use? Don't think I've ever seen that fully answered.

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT, 2013 Outback Lim SAP 270K, 2003 Outback Lim MT 2.5L, 241K..
1,645 Posts
I think this feature is a failed attempt. I am still unclear how it is SUPPOSED to work. The app on my phone, seems to have no connection to the app on the screen - but the app on the screen is very slow and doesnt always work - and works only when the car is stopped (passengers/co pilots dont count I guess). I also dont understand what exactly the subscription to the app gets you, but it seems it can be used without one. But the phone app is WAY better to work. ITs kind of stupid since it seems to NEED the phone plugged in with starlink app on the phone, but the actual Chimani app on the phone is separate and way easier to use - moving or not.

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT, Cinnamon Brown Pearl
257 Posts
Looking at the app in the Google Playstore, it appears that one can get brownie points or "badges" for each park visited. The app appears to be ad supported, so if you do use it, take a good look at their privacy policy. They may have another revenue stream from selling your contact info.

The reviews are all over the place. Some think it is the greatest thing since sliced bread. Others complain about technical issues and outdated info.

YMMV.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
but note that the app in the car is NOT the app on your phone (google play or apple app store), its a car only app through the Starlink app on the car. Its similar, but its not like car play where you are looking on the car screen and you are looking at the app from your phone - that's the point I was trying to make - they are separate things.

·
Registered
2020 OB Limited XT
141 Posts
I have set it up and used it. It is so horrible I've not even bothered to do any further testing with it. Just use the Chimani mobile app on your phone. The in-car app is more of a really old tech demo than it is a useful app. Why skip it? It is slow. Only takes up the top portion of the screen. Doesn't display as much information as the regular mobile version. Isn't useful at all. Contains only trivial information. Is hard to set up... It is a total fail.

All the Starlink apps are like this. You aren't missing anything by avoiding Starlink apps entirely.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Why they even bothered with including StarLink is a mystery. It is a technology that by now should have died.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
you know, i said it here before, when i picked up my car, the sales guy who spent a lot of time showing me the tech, he said the starlink app was going away soon, so not to even bother with it. i wonder if he knew something we have yet to hear.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts