Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my brand new 2017 3.6 limited to the dealer to have a factory hitch and harness installed and they chipped the paint on the rear bumper. My car is less than a week old and less than 300 miles on it. I brought the chip to the dealer's attention and all they wanted to is give me a bottle of touch up paint and an apology. I think they should replace the bumper and make it like new. What do you think?

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2014 2.5i PZEV Tungsten Outback Limited W/Moonroof, Accessory Value Package A.
114 Posts
Here is my experience that would have me taking the touch up paint and run.

This goes back a long time, but I bought a new Honda Civic and didn't notice when I took delivery that there was a paint chip and dimple on the rear bumper from being transported to the dealer. I took the car back and they agreed to fix it. They needed to make an appointment so another trip back to the dealer. They took the car for a few days and gave me a loaner. Go and pick up the car after being fixed and it literally looked like they took it out back and applied a can of spray paint. The color matching was horrible and the job they did looked like an amateur did the work. I was pissed and demanded they take the rear bumper off a car with the same color, which they agreed to do, but as usual needed to make another appointment to go back for the change out. They did change out the bumper but it didn't have the same tight fitting install which they could not do anything to fix. I'm thinking this is about the best outcome I could expect.

Well the story does not end there, several months pass and I decided to give my car a wax job. I notice as I am waxing that the back half of the car feels reel rough. I realized they got over spray all over the back half of the car. I take the car back, they make an appointment to get the car buffed. Take the car and they buff the car and scratched the crap out of the car when I go the car back. There was plastic trim that got hosed and it looks like they had to use some course polishing compound to get the overs pray off. The car was never right after that.

Moral to the story is if its minor just live with it, the consequences of having it fixed were far worse than the original problem. Now I am not saying this will happen to you, but take pause and think it over cause this could turn into a ******** where it mushrooms to something as bad as what happened to me.

·
Registered
2015 3.6R
1,855 Posts
I would probably ask them to fix it but also would depend how noticeable it is now. I would be ticked off though being only a week old.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
114 Posts
OMG, just get some touch up paint, The dealer will be very reluctant if not **** no to change a bumper for that small of a chip. I used to be an absolute perfectionist with my cars, but as I have gotten older and wiser, I realize that its just a car, not the end of the world if its not perfect. Do not let them try and fix it by painting it. Even a bumper replacement will not be as perfect as the original. Yes I get it you just bought a new car and spent a lot of money. But man in the scheme of things cars are just a material thing, if you have your health and are a happy person, that is way more important than some small ding in a car. If you have ever experienced a live altering event that makes you so very aware of your mortality things like this will not be so important. Enjoy your nice new ride, it will eventually be an old car, and you will be older as well. Sorry about my rant.

Think of it this way you have your first ding, now you don't have to worry about it anymore.

·
Registered
2018 3.6R Limited
552 Posts
It's just a plastic bumper.. I'd fix it myself and enjoy the touch up paint that you'll surely need. Just wait until you get some real dings... Outback's panels and paint don't handle them very well

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So if you were buying this brand new car, you would be OK with a chip in the bumper? The dealer's service department did this installing an accessory. This is a rock chip or something that happened in a parking lot.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Dude did you read my long stories above? I did buy a brand new car with what was a lot worse than that little chip and regretted even bothering with it to this day. I learned from that am just trying to share the wisdom I gained from that. I was hail bent and pissed just like you are, do you think I was a happy camper after what I went through? I get it, it sucks, but no body said life is fair or doesn't have its crappy moments, fix it your self and be done with it.

So thing similar happened with my 2014 where some stupid idiot backed up and dinged my rear bumper, I hadn't even got my permamant license plates yet. I saw him do it I went out and confronted the guy but looked at the barely noticeable scratch and said remember what happened to me last time. Yes I was not happy but I let it go. Two months ago and 43,000 mile later my car is major destroyed by hail. Yes not happy, but decided to take the insurance money and it's paid off now. I fixed the broken tail and brake lights, side mirrors and now have to live with it as my beater commuter car. So yes I get it way more than you ever will, and don't even imply I don't. Fix your car get over it and enjoy the Damm thing cause I would be tickled pink to have what you have, versus what I got.
Your not unique in what happened to you.

Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 3.6R
1,855 Posts
The first cut is the deepest. I had my OB only a month when a rock from a truck hit the hood and chipped the paint down to the bare metal. I was livid but some touch up paint and from a distance you can't see it.

Now I get other nicks and scratches and don't even blink an eye. I get it, especially when it's brand new, but based on the pic of the nick I would just take care of it myself and move on.

Just my opinion. It's your car so you need to do what will make you feel better and can live with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5L Crimson
28 Posts
I would not want a replacement bumper as it will have to be painted, they come in one color. I would be upset if it happen to me.

I would have the chip professionally filled and painted.

·
Premium Member
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,697 Posts
I would have the chip professionally filled and painted.
X2. Replacing and/or repainting the entire bumper cover is just asking for more grief, IMO.

·
Premium Member
Twilight Blue 2015 3.6R with Eyesight
5,023 Posts
Here's the chip. Very minor, but this is a brand new car that they damaged.

I understand the frustration, but...
With such a minor chip, I'd take the touch up paint, and demand money is taken off the installation of the hitch.
Don't get greedy, but they should take something off the installation.
I'd talk to the dealer first. If that didn't work well, talk to the owner of the dealership.
If that doesn't work, it's time to get in contact with SOA. I'd say if it gets to that point, (Something the dealer doesn't want to happen) They'll most likely reimburse the money for the hitch install and give that dealer negative points and a stern talking to.
SOA takes these kinds of things VERY seriously, and like I said, it would only be a last resort, because the dealer runs the risk of losing their license to sell Subarus.
In fact, if the dealer gets ignorant about it, throw out the fact that you'd hate to call SOA about this, and would rather handle it with them.
Trust me, when a dealer hears you're going to call SOA on them, their attitude will change very quickly.
If they're still being sticks in the mud, just walk away and call SOA at that point.
Good luck! And please update this thread of the outcome.
So many ask advice about an issue, then we NEVER hear back from them...

Reactions: BOXR 6

·
Premium Member
Twilight Blue 2015 3.6R with Eyesight
5,023 Posts
X2. Replacing and/or repainting the entire bumper cover is just asking for more grief, IMO.
I had a problem with the window frame on the back door of mine a while back. I took it in to be fixed. Well, they fixed it alright!
Everything looked good until I got home and reviewed the dash cam footage.
The mechanic working on the car just grabbed the frame and yanked it! Then another mechanic came over and talked to him about the dent he just put in the door and laughed about it!
I went back and talked to the owner. He went ballistic!
Needless to say, they fixed the dent and noted that if ANYTHING ever happens to the door, it'll be fixed at no charge.
Other than the dent, it didn't hurt the door, it's just the way he went about it. To treat a brand new car like that is really inexcusable.
I understand that sometimes in bodywork you have to sometimes muscle around things, but there's a right way and wrong way to do it, and if you damage something, be honest about it.
The owner said he wasn't going to fire him, but he was going home that day with half his arse missing.
So yeah, be careful how much you ask of a dealer...

·
Registered
2022 Outback Touring XT. Also 1995 BMW 525i with 240,000 miles
2,594 Posts
I had a problem with the window frame on the back door of mine a while back. I took it in to be fixed. Well, they fixed it alright!
Everything looked good until I got home and reviewed the dash cam footage.
The mechanic working on the car just grabbed the frame and yanked it! Then another mechanic came over and talked to him about the dent he just put in the door and laughed about it!
I went back and talked to the owner. He went ballistic!
Needless to say, they fixed the dent and noted that if ANYTHING ever happens to the door, it'll be fixed at no charge.
Other than the dent, it didn't hurt the door, it's just the way he went about it. To treat a brand new car like that is really inexcusable.
I understand that sometimes in bodywork you have to sometimes muscle around things, but there's a right way and wrong way to do it, and if you damage something, be honest about it.
The owner said he wasn't going to fire him, but he was going home that day with half his arse missing.
So yeah, be careful how much you ask of a dealer...
What Kentucky dealer did this? I have been very careful what to ask a dealer to work on. I fully realize that once something is taken apart, it is hard to get everything back properly. Paint is one of the worst.

Reactions: KentuckyOutback

·
Registered
13 Posts
So if you were buying this brand new car, you would be OK with a chip in the bumper? The dealer's service department did this installing an accessory. This is a rock chip or something that happened in a parking lot.

Sounds like you already know what you want to do. Why don't you just do it rather than berate someone for giving their honest opinion to your situation?

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 OB Premium, White/Black. 152K miles-0 issues.
120 Posts
DR Colorchip. It will nearly disappear. The car is a tool, not a jewel. Get over it, even though it sucks.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.