Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my trip to Newcastle yesterday I suffered a chipped windscreen almost right in drivers line of sight. Apparently, it is not allowed to be repaired as it can distort view. Asked Windscreen O'Briens and they quoted $320. Subaru want $1500 for a genuine screen!

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Do you have windscreen cover on your insurance Lance? I've bemoaned the fact for years that Japanese made windscreens chip very easily compared to Aussie made glass, they must use a softer glass or something. An Aussie made replacement may actually be better glass...

·
Registered
333 Posts
Do you guys have the heating elements where the wipers park, like we get with the "cold weather" package? I can see that making a replacement more costly, but nearly 5 times the cost from the dealer!?! sheesh!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
MrEd,

Do you guys have the heating elements where the wipers park, like we get with the "cold weather" package? I can see that making a replacement more costly, but nearly 5 times the cost from the dealer!?! sheesh!
No heater in our glass. It never gets to 0 degrees C (32 Farenheit) here so there is no need. But I agree 5 times more costly is unbelievable.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just went and checked the aftermarket windscreen from O'Briens Glass. It is exactly the same as the original right down the the black spotted surround around the perimeter of the windscreen and the spotted shade area where the rear vision mirror is. Anyone with the new 3.0R will know what I'm talking about.

It is being installed tomorrow morn and has to sit for 4 hours so the glue cures. Apparently if I have an accident before the glue cures and the airbags go off It'll blow out the new windscreen. But I guess if I have an accident big enough to blow the airbags then the last thing I'll be worrying about is a new windscreen.

When I enquired about the screen, they said that they buy a new screen from Subaru and then match it exactly and then produce them for the aftermarket. They have 58 in stock already for the new 3.0R and the car has only been on sale for 6 months. Boy they must think there's going to be alot of broken screens.

I've bemoaned the fact for years that Japanese made windscreens chip very easily compared to Aussie made glass, they must use a softer glass or something. An Aussie made replacement may actually be better glass...
Karl, I have heard that but I don't know. I do know the original glass did have a few small chips in it like pin heads. Not significant but annoying enough.

As for insurance, my excess is $450 and the replacement screen is total only $330, so I won't be going through insurance.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
3 Participants
Boxer3.0R
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing