Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Let me preface this by saying I tried digging through all the existing threads that seem to cover the first part of my problem, but it took a turn for the weird.

Specs: 2011 2.5i Premium 6MT 238000 miles. Oil and Coolant levels nominal. Battery tested nominal.

Part 1:
Last week I got the CEL, Traction Control, Flashing Cruise and Brake lights. CEL code was read by O'Reilly to be a P0172 (Bank 1 too rich). Tried the new gas cap suggestions ($7 test), and reset the codes. That light came back on ~250 miles later. Did some looking around the engine bay, noticed the engine air filter looked pretty nasty.

Part 2:
Made 1 stop on the way to the auto store to get an air filter....
Came back out to Exhibit A: This is with all switches and knobs in the off position and doors shut, also all the lights work normally with the key on.

Started the car to see if it would clear......
Only to find Exhibit B: note the Cruise and Brake lights flash, I managed to capture both on.

Car runs normally, drove it to the nearest auto parts store (AutoZone) for battery test and code read. Code came back as Catalytic Converter plugged and/or O2 sensor from their system. was referred to the local muffler shop, will call there tomorrow, as well as the closest dealer probably.

HALP!

Attachments

·
Registered
17,029 Posts
You likely do not need a catalytic converter.

ALL newer cars diable cruise, traction control, and other systems on CELs.

A mechanic can look at live data, and follow testing steps to determine if an O2 sensor is bad.

Sometimes, something as simple as a battery with a dead cell, or rodent damage to wires can be at fault.

The actual text in some DTC definitions may mention parts like O2 sensors or cat.conv. , but actual solutions can sometimes be much simpler.

If you need a mechanic, start a new thread and ask for a recommendation near your city, you might get a Subaru-friendly shop mentioned.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Let me preface this by saying I tried digging through all the existing threads that seem to cover the first part of my problem, but it took a turn for the weird.

Specs: 2011 2.5i Premium 6MT 238000 miles. Oil and Coolant levels nominal. Battery tested nominal.

Part 1:
Last week I got the CEL, Traction Control, Flashing Cruise and Brake lights. CEL code was read by O'Reilly to be a P0172 (Bank 1 too rich). Tried the new gas cap suggestions ($7 test), and reset the codes. That light came back on ~250 miles later. Did some looking around the engine bay, noticed the engine air filter looked pretty nasty.

Part 2:
Made 1 stop on the way to the auto store to get an air filter....
Came back out to Exhibit A: This is with all switches and knobs in the off position and doors shut, also all the lights work normally with the key on.

Started the car to see if it would clear......
Only to find Exhibit B: note the Cruise and Brake lights flash, I managed to capture both on.
View attachment 470280

Car runs normally, drove it to the nearest auto parts store (AutoZone) for battery test and code read. Code came back as Catalytic Converter plugged and/or O2 sensor from their system. was referred to the local muffler shop, will call there tomorrow, as well as the closest dealer probably.

HALP!
Are your doors actually open? Or the light stays that way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
My wild a$$ guess is the battery could be at fault and not doing its job of filtering / dampening the output excursions of the alternator (which also could be at root cause). An under/over voltage condition might result in the electronics having a hiccup.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts