Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Let me preface this by saying I tried digging through all the existing threads that seem to cover the first part of my problem, but it took a turn for the weird.

Specs: 2011 2.5i Premium 6MT 238000 miles. Oil and Coolant levels nominal. Battery tested nominal.

Part 1:
Last week I got the CEL, Traction Control, Flashing Cruise and Brake lights. CEL code was read by O'Reilly to be a P0172 (Bank 1 too rich). Tried the new gas cap suggestions ($7 test), and reset the codes. That light came back on ~250 miles later. Did some looking around the engine bay, noticed the engine air filter looked pretty nasty.

Part 2:
Made 1 stop on the way to the auto store to get an air filter....
Came back out to Exhibit A: This is with all switches and knobs in the off position and doors shut, also all the lights work normally with the key on.

Started the car to see if it would clear......
Only to find Exhibit B: note the Cruise and Brake lights flash, I managed to capture both on.

Car runs normally, drove it to the nearest auto parts store (AutoZone) for battery test and code read. Code came back as Catalytic Converter plugged and/or O2 sensor from their system. was referred to the local muffler shop, will call there tomorrow, as well as the closest dealer probably.

HALP!

Attachments

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,386 Posts
You likely do not need a catalytic converter.

ALL newer cars diable cruise, traction control, and other systems on CELs.

A mechanic can look at live data, and follow testing steps to determine if an O2 sensor is bad.

Sometimes, something as simple as a battery with a dead cell, or rodent damage to wires can be at fault.

The actual text in some DTC definitions may mention parts like O2 sensors or cat.conv. , but actual solutions can sometimes be much simpler.

If you need a mechanic, start a new thread and ask for a recommendation near your city, you might get a Subaru-friendly shop mentioned.

·
Registered
2013 3.6R Limited
820 Posts
My bet is on a faulty oxygen sensor.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5 CVT
129 Posts
Let me preface this by saying I tried digging through all the existing threads that seem to cover the first part of my problem, but it took a turn for the weird.

Specs: 2011 2.5i Premium 6MT 238000 miles. Oil and Coolant levels nominal. Battery tested nominal.

Part 1:
Last week I got the CEL, Traction Control, Flashing Cruise and Brake lights. CEL code was read by O'Reilly to be a P0172 (Bank 1 too rich). Tried the new gas cap suggestions ($7 test), and reset the codes. That light came back on ~250 miles later. Did some looking around the engine bay, noticed the engine air filter looked pretty nasty.

Part 2:
Made 1 stop on the way to the auto store to get an air filter....
Came back out to Exhibit A: This is with all switches and knobs in the off position and doors shut, also all the lights work normally with the key on.

Started the car to see if it would clear......
Only to find Exhibit B: note the Cruise and Brake lights flash, I managed to capture both on.
View attachment 470280

Car runs normally, drove it to the nearest auto parts store (AutoZone) for battery test and code read. Code came back as Catalytic Converter plugged and/or O2 sensor from their system. was referred to the local muffler shop, will call there tomorrow, as well as the closest dealer probably.

HALP!
Are your doors actually open? Or the light stays that way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
19 2.5i OB LTD w/SSD Strt Twr Brc + OEM 19mm RSB
1,304 Posts
My wild a$$ guess is the battery could be at fault and not doing its job of filtering / dampening the output excursions of the alternator (which also could be at root cause). An under/over voltage condition might result in the electronics having a hiccup.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update:
Shop confirms that the A/F and O2 sensors are working correctly, and have stated that the catalytic converter is bad.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Follow up/update/whatever you want to call it.

After getting a second opinion, and it coming back the same, I did the following:

9/20/19, filled up with 16 gal of regular 87 octane at Shell, added a full 16oz can of Seafoam to the gas.
10/7/19 at the next fill up, again 16 gal of regular 87 octane at Shell, added a full 16oz can of CataClean to the gas.

Drove around, resettting the codes with an OBD scanner when they came up, which seemed to screw with throttle response from idle in the relatively cold air temps (Michigan's Keweenaw Peninsula in Sept/Oct/Nov/Dec, go figure), but I had cruise for the 500 mile treks home for Thanksgiving and Christmas breaks from university. Reset the codes for the last time on the trip home for Christmas and never seen them again. No sign of throttle lag ever since either.

I will note, it got brutally cold during stretches of January and February, much colder than during November and December, but we got all the snow in the region before Christmas, so YMMV.
speaking of mileage, looking at my records, I can'treport a marked difference in before vs after in the fuel conumption that can't be explained by the usual short trips in cold weather of a winter college student.

·
Registered
2014 2.5
67 Posts
If it comes back I would screen shot your parameters in the app to see what all the numbers are, that way it can be uploaded and possibly diagnosed without dumping $$$ into an unknown problem

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If it comes back I would screen shot your parameters in the app to see what all the numbers are, that way it can be uploaded and possibly diagnosed without dumping $$$ into an unknown problem
Which/what app might you be referring to?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts