Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2018 3.6R Limited - Magnetite - LP Adventure lift
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who's done what?

I know some people have done custom vinyl. Anything seems to be a non-permanent solution, as vinyl is probably only good for what, 5 years? maybe 7?

Plasti dip? Im strongly considering this one as it seems the easiest fastest method, that may be more durable than vinyl.

Who's done what for this? I really dislike the look of chrome around the windows.

If you used a vinyl kit, where did you get it?

·
Registered
2018 Limited 2.5i
628 Posts
being as ive used plasti-dip on several vehicles in the past- I would go vinyl. the upkeep on plastidip to me gets old and it fades. plus eventually it bakes onto the plastic and removal becomes a royal PITA. ive used it on wheels, trim(grills/bumper trim) and its always either faded and baked on or I need to go back and touch it up. I feel like vinyl would be more durable

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The problem is the application of it.

Ive yet to find a kit of pre cuts. That and having it done at a shop is likely a couple hundred bucks.

My plasti dip seems to have held up well. So far anyway..... If I could find a precut kit Id go vinyl.

·
Registered
'18 2.5i Premium
96 Posts
How hard is it to remove the trim without damaging it? Seems like buying a small roll of vinyl would hold up better than plastidip...

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
11,292 Posts
I used this:

https://amzn.to/2Ji68z5

I had to order a second roll because I was just barely short. Best just to order the double roll.

I even made a video because there isn't a lot out there for applying it:

It's held up great. Goes through car washes just fine. I need to re do a section that's my own fault but it peels off if you want.

It may only last "5-7 years" but its a lot less mess, prep, and effort than plastidip. Plastidip is going to look awful in 7 years. It will really look awful in 2. Go look up long term plastidip pictures. It's all awful

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,194 Posts
It may only last "5-7 years" but its a lot less mess, prep, and effort than plastidip. Plastidip is going to look awful in 7 years. It will really look awful in 2. Go look up long term plastidip pictures. It's all awful

I think we should have a concerted effort do describe plastidip as ....awful. (maybe a wikipedia campaign).

and Brucey needs more coffee.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,194 Posts
Got it now. Replacing walls in the downstairs bathroom.
interior plumbing in WV? ...

what is this world coming to?....abominable,...against the laws of humanity.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
**** maybe I just get brucey to drive over one state and do all this crap to my car. LOL

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,194 Posts
**** maybe I just get brucey to drive over one state and do all this crap to my car. LOL
forum beach and modification day. :cool:

·
Registered
'18 2.5i Premium
96 Posts

·
Registered
'03 outback limited, '01 Outback Limited, '01 Legacy L wagon, '96 Legacy Brighton wagon
2,179 Posts
If the trim can be removed and reinstalled easily, have it bead blasted ( or soda-blasted - this is to dull the finish and give the surface some "tooth"), then epoxy paint it.

You could also leave it on the car and carefully Scotchbrite it, then carefully tape and spray it. Whatever epoxy paint you use will need to be UV resistant.

It will be a LOT easier to touch up a painted surface when it gets nicked than vinyl.

·
Registered
2015, Outback, 3.6R, White
11 Posts
Just watched that video Brucey made, great job!!!
I might try the same but with cutting tape. Has anyone tried something similar, but used cutting tape instead of a blade?

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just watched that video Brucey made, great job!!!
I might try the same but with cutting tape. Has anyone tried something similar, but used cutting tape instead of a blade?

Probably what I am going to do myself, actually.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts