Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2013 OB limited
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hating the chrome window trim (2013 outback). Tried plastidip and love the black look, not the durability on that particular part (although my grill looks great black and is holding up well). definitely gonna have it painted (by a shop), but have a question... The chrome is encased in rubber trim. It is possible, or better, to remove the inner chrome pieces to be painted, or just mask and paint them in place? looking for advice from the painters / body shop guys here...

·
Registered
2013 outback 2.5 prem
135 Posts
The chrome window trim is removable. Iam not sure how it comes off. When we took delivery of our OB the all window trims were scratched the dealer removed and replaced. They gotta come off some how

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Premium 6mt, Twilight Blue
2,378 Posts
The trim is removable, but I believe the issue is damaging (bending) the trim while removing that makes it difficult.

If you intend to reuse the same trim pieces instead of replacing them, you'll have better luck just taping off the trim and painting it in place.

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5 i Premium
474 Posts
You can tape but it may not come out the way you'd like it. If you have the cash I'd recommend buying new pieces and having them painted prior to installation. You can discard your old trim since it won't likely survive the removal process. The coating will ripple as it is removed.

·
Registered
2013 OB limited
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
UPDATE:
Had it painted. looks GREAT. We'll see how well it holds up, but for not i'm extremely satisfied. With the tinted windows I couldn't be happier. Now to find black rims....

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback limited 3.6R
108 Posts
Another option could have been black vinyl adhesive. Lots of people do the trim and or do interior pieces with it and with the 3m carbon fiber vinyl. I believe ChrisJ had some work up doing it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 6 of 6 Posts