Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

As the title alludes, am getting more flat tires (due to punctures) in this OB than I ever have with any other vehicle I've ever owned. In the last 4 months I've had 3 flats with less than 14k on my '17 OB . Two of which are the same tire. My last car (Chevy Sonic) put down nearly 37k miles on the same roads and routes that I drive the OB on, with 0 issues. I know it's not the car specifically, but has anyone else sucked up this much road metal? Do the stock Bridgestones suck that much? Or did I get a crap load of bad luck?

At this point I'm on the fence about getting new tires. I could have this one patched, again, but I'm awful frustrated. Please advise.

·
Registered
'15 Outback 2.5i Premium
2,512 Posts
If it's nail or screw punctures, I doubt the tires have anything to do with it. Maybe more construction, a new business moved in (or procedures changed at an existing one) along the route, or just bad luck. Have you or your neighbors had roofs replaced recently?

My wife was getting a rash of punctures for a while, but there was road construction on or near her usual route at that time, too.

·
Registered
2010 2.5 CVT Limited
1,449 Posts
Not sure what advisement you'd like to get. Flat tires from FOD punctures is just bad luck. No tire is immune, not even a run-flat. I think there was one other owner a few months back that was also having a string of bad luck.

There used to be self-sealing tires available for most cars, but those have gone away (don't really know why).
If the tire shop is properly patch-plugging your repairs, the tires should be good-to-go down to the wear bars. However, I think the tire industry recommends no more than 2 (or 3?) repairs per tire. Your tire shop may go conservative and not do more than 1 per tire. Check with the tire manufacturer for what they recommend.

·
Registered
'03 outback limited, '01 Outback Limited, '01 Legacy L wagon, '96 Legacy Brighton wagon
2,257 Posts
However, I think the tire industry recommends no more than 2 (or 3?) repairs per tire.
Had the same sort of rash of punctures once many years ago, all from driving daily past a new housing project that was under construction - 12 flats in 4 months, all in the same RR tire, and every one fixed with a plug. The tire lasted another 40000 miles after I finally got wise and switched my morning route to work.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,391 Posts
Keep patching them.

It's not the car/tires. A new building project, someone started hauling scrap down a road you travel, your neighbors hate you for your new car, bad luck - there's any number of causes that are more likely than your first guess.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Several years ago, my wife got about 4 or 5 flats in a 6 month period. Then it stopped. We never did figure out why, but probably a construction project on her way to work at that time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts